Water Sofener Capacity

I have purchased a new water softener, and am confused as to specs and how to program accordingly.

Identified as a 40,000 grain unit, but not sure if this is correct. I have to set the meter and reserve, but not sure what I should based the calculation on. Using a Fleck 5600SE control valve.

Specs:

1.25cu ft resin Salt Setting is 15lbs

Hardness (compensated hardness) is 20.

Should I base my usage calculations for the meter on 40,000 grains? Or is this really a 32,000 grains unit? 37,500?

Thanks,

Reply to
Nav

I think the following should help you:

Erma1ina

You are going to do testing aren't you? Set it as a 40,000 grain and if it stops softening before regeneration, just change the settings. Test kit is about $10 and should last a couple of years. Takes about two minutes to do the test.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I am understanding the basics. My next question would be... what is the most efficient setup of this configuration to optimize performance. I have read posts about reducing salt setting which reduces capacity, but increases efficiency.

Any other comments or suggestions?

On another point... I have noticed a small puddle of water on the front bottom of the Fleck control valve. I dried it up with a paper towel, but again this morning I found another small puddle. I have check the entire valve with a flashlight, and cannot find a source for the water. Also checked the fittings to the valve and the copper pipes, and it is completely dry. Is there a possible leak or defect form inside the control valve?

Thanks for any comments,

Reply to
Nav

Increases what efficency? The water is either soft or it is not. Calcuate your regeneration to be no more than 90% of the capacity. If you regenerate too soon, you use a little more salt than if you went to the 90% range. At the end of the year, it may have cost you 25 or 30 pounds of salt. If you test before the regeneration time and you detect hardness, you to shortent he time. No need to make this into a major math project to save $5 a year in salt.

Set it, test it, change settings if needed. Always better to regenergate sooner rather than later as that can cause the resin to fail pre-maturely. Keep the brine tank clean. We clean out tanhk at least once a year bt we put a lot of salt through it as we soften up to 15,000 gallons of water a day.

Possible a seal is leaking uder certain condition. While you watch, have someone opena nd close a faucet and see if the pressure change does anything.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski