The ignitor on my Cannon Camberley gas cooker keeps firing even after the
oven has lit. Normally, as soon as the pilot burner lights, the ignitor
stops. Two questions:
1, Any ideas?
2, If not, does anyone know what causes the ignitor to stop firing when it's
working properly? It can't be the thermocouple because the spark usually
stops as soon as the pilot lights - the thermocouple only controls the main
Replies ASAP please -we're getting hungry!
Try cleaning the tip of the probe that detects the flame fro from the main
burner in the oven. It's just a little piece of tube looking thing that
sits to one side of the burner, and when the flame is burning properly, this
probe tells the ignitor to stop doing its thing. If the probe is dirty or
greasy, then it might not be sending the correct signal back to the ignition
unit. If the probe is on its last legs and will need replacing soon, then
can cause the same fault
Just check the flame sensor is sitting properly in the flame and glowing red
when the oven is lit.
Then it could be the ignition unit itself that's dirty or sticky, and the
contacts inside are taking longer to heat up before they come apart
If you can get to the wiring from the unit, then check that none of the
insulation is broken or tightly trapped somewhere, and causing the spark
unit to short across to the oven casing.
Cant remember the exact model but its almost certainly a fmale
rectification or flame conduction circuit. Ensure that the flame
envelopes the tip of the elctrode,if not,check for partially blocked
flame ports. Clean the electrode,check for loose connections..
Direct your attention to the spark electrodes in both ovens.
Make sure the HV wire actually still connects to the electrode, in an
oven of mine it oxidised and dropped off but still sparked against the
oven floor where it couldn't sense the pilot flame. it did still light
the pilot flame eventually when enough gas had reached it but then
kept on sparking. It killed the spark generator eventually because of
excessively long spark gap sparked at a higher voltage.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.