Pressure Vacuum Cleaner for Whole House

Page 1 of 2
Whole house vacuum clearer systems have access ports (inlets) where a user can plug-in a flexible pick-up tube. Behind the access ports are tubes that lead to a central vacuum clearer. The user aims the end of the flexible pick-up tube at the dirt, and the suction takes the dirt via the tubes to a container in the central vacuum cleaner. This article describes one setup: http://snipurl.com/ottj
The vacuum cleaner itself is larger and perhaps has a quieter motor than portable units, but it's conventional in design. A fan covered by a dust filter provides the suction.
But what about positioning the motor and fan on the other side of the dirt? Make the house airtight, and when using the vacuum close the usual exhaust ports, like the ones for the kitchen and bathrooms. Make an opening from the outside of the house to the inside, and have a fan in it blowing through a filter (for pollen etc.) toward the inside. In other words, have a fan that pressurizes the house. Behind each access port, have a tube goes directly to a screened-in container outside. The user closes up the house, starts the pressurizing fan, and uses the flexible pick-up tubes as in the conventional arrangement. Dust and gases get removed from the house, and the larger pieces of trash get caught in the screened-in containers.
I see advantages to this kind of system:
The tube system is simple and cheap.
Short tubes going outside are unlikely to clog.
Instead of capturing most of the dust as with a conventional unit, you exhaust the dust to the outside. This exhaust doesn't need much of a filter. A screen would prevent you from littering the neighborhood.
Relatively clean incoming air goes to the fine filter. This would need infrequent replacement.
Pick-up tubes can be different sizes.
There's a possibility of quiet operation.
Would this be a practical system? Has anybody ever seen anything like it?
--
(||) Nehmo (||)

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

and cook (other than marriage) let me know!

I wouldn't use a Dyson to stop my car rolling down the road.
Buy a Henry and with the money you save...a lifetime supply of bags.
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 21:31:59 +0100, Vortex wrote:

or not: I was wondering whether I'd have to buy some new bags for our new Henry or whether I could get away with emptying and re-using the one that came with it. It seemed to be getting quite heavy (lots of small building debris) so I opened it up to see and found that the paper bag was split and so it was only the cloth filter doing the work. Seemed OK so that's how I left it (after emptying it, natch).

It wouldn't even be any good for that. Crunch, crunch, followed by the sight of your car rolling away ...
--
"Other people are not your property."

No but inevitably it's going to come down one side or the other. Your sucker blows. OR Your blower sucks.
Plummeting swan filters would add some topicality.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

It would not be practical because 1. You would never be able to seal a house as well as you wanted and if you did, you would not be able to sell the concept to many customers. You would need to seal better than tyou would for caulking cold air entry.
2. You could not open a door or have kids entering or leaving the house while you cleaned. "Kids we are on lockdown until I finish blowing the dirt out" (it is not a vacuum)
3. It will hurt your ears when you have a bad sinus day due to the rising and falling baromatric pressure in the house.
4. Air is compressable, so even if you switched on a compressor with X cfm airflow, the airflow at the exit port would be less and delayed acording to how much air volume in the house there is. Airflow would be slow at the exit port.
4. Most of the compressed air in the room would flow right over the dirt to get to the exit tube, leaving most of the dirt inside the carpet.
5. It would force dust further into the carpet as air leaked through the unsealed subfloor
Can I blow any more holes in your idea.
It would and does work for smoke removal though.

6. If you applied even a tiny amount of the pressure differential you find in something like a Dyson to a whole house, it would be instantly blown to pieces all over the neighbourhood.
I have a mental image of this happening when they start doing the new pressure testing of houses as required by UK Building Regs. Misquoting Michael Caine's famous line, "You weren't supposed to blow the bloody doors off"...
--
Andrew Gabriel

from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

"Eight pounds of over-pressure wave seemed to glue him to the wall" Jethro Tull, Protect and Survive.
--
Skipweasel

Oh my. You must be from my era!
As #&%!ed up as my memory is, the 1976 concert at Shea Stadium NYC/USA was excellent. What I remember of it anyway....:-)
<sorry about the crossposting, followups set>

The absolute BEST that any whole house (or other type) vac could do is approximately 14.7 psi (1 ATM) pressure differential... You can't go less than a pure vacuum, so that's it... THEORETICALLY, the OP's idea could produce better results since one could design it to produce more than 1 ATM of pressure in the enclosure... From a practical standpoint, I seriously doubt that a person would be able to make their house *that* airtight... Think of it this way -- a 32"x68" door is 2176 sq-in in area... At *only* a 14.7 psi pressure diffential, that would would need to be able to withstand nearly 16 tons... Actually, the house wouldn't be blown all over the neighborhood... You need a lot more pressure differential than that to get something blow up... You would probably start getting various seams to leak first and then you wouldn't be able to pump air into it as fast it was leaking out...
Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

You missed April Fool's Day by 6 days....
This has to be a troll, nobody could be THAT stupid...
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

many stupid posts. This guy's handle shows up robustly on google with lots of no nonsense posts. An inventive dreamer perhaps.

No way!
You would have to do the following every time you used it, probably more...
Seal extractor fan in kitchen Seal extractor fan in bathroom Seal chimney Seal cat flap Seal waste trap in Kitchen sink(s) Seal any vented tumble driers (That doesn't mean just close the door either!) Seal waste trap in bath Seal waste trap in hand basin Seal waste trap in shower Seal waste trap in toilet Seal any over-flow pipes
While the system was on, you may have trouble opening your fridge, freezer and probably any other sealed jars etc. due to the lower pressure inside.
Not very practical all in all!
Sparks wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:

And other parts of the anatomy...
Owain
Sparks wrote:

Interesting idea. I don't think the pressure that could be achieved would pick up much dirt. Somebody should do a trial to see why this won't work.

It would be very quiet. I think it would generate less dust in the air than an ordinary vacuum cleaner. If it works at all at a pressure that won't blow the windows out. :)
Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

First problem. Dust becomes airbourne, choking user and leaving dust on every vertical surface.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Not to mention every horizontal surface, :)