Pre 1.6 gpf Toilets - Legal Anywhere?

Page 2 of 3
Dick wrote:

them
A mountain cabin with limited water supply and limited septic capacity does not seem like a good match for a high-gallon toilet. Been there done that.
Plenty of people might be interested nonetheless. 1.6 gpf terlets still have a (largely undeserved) stigma and some folks refuse to buy them.
%mod%
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net wrote:

still
Is there a 1.6gpf model that will completely flush itself without you standing there and holding the handle down? Damn I hate that!!!
Bob
wrote:>>

Yes, the Toto model that I have. It flushes like there is vacuum pulling the water down. I've never more than momentarily pressed the handle down. Tom

Another happy vote for the Toto. I happen to own the Ultramax, although they have the usual intimidating profusion of models. Anyway, the thing could probably take down a basketball!
Art
Arthur Shapiro wrote:

you
although they

could
I believe I saw a model at Lowe's that advertises that it can clear 100 golf balls in one flush. I'd like to see that.
Joe
Our American Standard Champions work fine.
Perce
On 03/02/05 03:20 pm Bob S. tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Bob S. wrote:

The one I bought from Home Depot (it was their house brand; glacier something?) works *much* better than my old toilet. It flushes in one flush and I don't have to hold the handle down. The only problem with it is the water level in the bowl is lower, so you have to swish the toilet with a brush more often than the old one, if you know what I mean.
Best regards, Bob (no relation)
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Erm...it sounds like you need to adjust your toilet.
                -Tim
The Enigmatic One wrote:

Erm...S.O.P. for my 20 year old Kohler 'low-flush'. No adjustment available (other than replacement) will make a good flush. However, if you've got a suggestion, I'm willing to give it a try.
--
Joe

There's probably a float on the flapper chain if yours is like the Kohler I had, that can be adjusted if you don't want to hold down the handle for two seconds when needed (most of the time it isn't).
I have one of these one piece Kohlers and it is a lousy flusher. The float/flapper adjustment is touchy but even when right it still may require 2 flushes to make everything go away. There is another problem with the 1.6gpf. If you are a long way from the vertical riser 1.6 gallons may not be enough water to ensure the load makes the whiole trip. In a ranch type house, if you use the far end guest bath for those "big loads" and don't use any other significant amounts of water from that end of the house it may end up clogging the pipe. If nothing else be sure you wash your hands ;--)

Yes. The American Standard Champion. The thing is unbelievable.
I think it's deserved if your waste line has a long horizontal run. I call them "flush twice" toilets.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

In my experience, the opposite is true. The 1.6 gpf toilets require one flush while the old ones need two or three. Maybe the first low flow toilets were not well designed, but in the last few years they far outperform the water wasters.
These people asking why anyone would buy a used toilet are very funny! I wonder if, when they buy an existing house, they immediately swap out the existing toilets for new ones! Haha! Probably best to tear out all the tile and carpeting, too.
Dimitri
No, but I put new seats on mine.

tile
"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message

You can legally go to Canada, buy a full 3.5gpf toilet and bring it back to the US. You can also legally give them to someone else to use. The trash 1.6 gpf was a nightmare in my old house. Just didn't have enough volume to get the pipes cleared and had to clean the drains at least once a year. I wished I could have found a good 3.5 gpf toilet to install there. We were forced to install the 1.6gpf toilets in the new house and they are barely adequate. Stupid law that only affects what is sold as new in the US.
"flush once for liquids, flush twice for solids"
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:35:09 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

I agree wholeheartedly.