Pool: asset or liability at resale?

Page 2 of 2
Ah, the eternal question.
I installed a 24,000 gal. in-ground pool in my previous home (Atlanta area) and we enjoyed it immensely. It was a nice centerpiece to the backyard landscaping and an excuse to have weekend parties. I spent about 1 hour / week for maintenance and about $150 each season for chemicals. When we got ready to buy another house, we went looking for one with either a pool or enough room to add one. In my personal experience, most folks who say they would never have a pool because of maintenance, cost, liability, etc have NEVER had one and don't really know what their talking about.
So there!!!

My
pool
I bought a home in New Orleans - In town not the suburbs. Had a lovely pool that took up most of the backyard. It was a selling point for me. Little did I know.
There was a hackberry tree and a Chinese tallow tree that hung gracefully over the pool. Well, if you have had a pool you know right away what happened. These two trees dropped leaves, flowers and berries all day and night. The berries were a poisonous purple which stained everything they touched. The bottom of the pool and coping was constantly spotted. Could NOT get the trees down because one of them belonged to a neighbor and the other was so big, no one could get the needed equipment in to get it out. Plus it had grown into the neighbor's fence.
You cannot drain and clean a pool in New Orleans because of the water table.
Plus I would find dead frogs in the skimmer on a regular basis. It had to be cleaned all the time and despite the fact that New Orleans was built over Hell, the water temp was cold most of the year.
I bought chemicals by the case!
There were also two vicious German Police dogs - who did really belong to the police - who lived behind us and would jump the fence to go swimming. Their owners were always apologetic - when you could find them - and would come retrieve them. It seemed they could only jump one way.
It was a terrible experience. I would never have another pool.
Joe Fabeitz wrote:

table.
Holy smokes! That's quite a story. You missed an opportunity for entertainment, though. I have to think it wouldn't be impossible to find a person with these two qualifications:
1) Owns a large alligator and would be willing to bring it over for a couple of days. 2) Believes, as I do, that dogs are in the same category as rats & mosquitoes, and should be "managed" with extreme prejudice (and gusto).
Does this require clarification, or are the delicious possibilities pretty obvious?

table.
area)
/
got
or
they
have
Yeah, but look at your setup. A tree over the pool ??? Come on? I have a totally difference experience here in California.

If it were in Arizona it would definitely be an asset. Assuming you're in Texas, I would consider it similarly. If it were in the midwest or east, I wouldn't have one on a bet.
--
It's me, Baker!

When the Chips are Down,
Entropy wrote:

It depends upon the buyer, his/her family members, and where the house is located. In Florida, it is probably more of an asset. In Maine, less of an asset. Kids would probably use the pool more than adults. Adults look more at the maintenance and costs. Where I am in NY, the average swimming season is about 3-1/2 to 4 months. That leaves 8 to 8-1/2 months of looking at a black pool cover (when it's not covered by snow).
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 02:14:20 GMT, "Entropy"

Depends on where you live I think. Here in Phoenix Arizona it's a big plus. Nobody in their right mind would demolish a pool here. However, if you live in a colder climate........ Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 02:14:20 GMT, "Entropy"

Plus. But it's likely I don't live in your area and won't be buying your house, so my feelings are pretty much irrelevant to your decision.
Jeff