Liability

I did some finishing work in a house I owned last year, I drywalled the basement of our house, when we moved in, the framing had been finished, but nothing else. I have since sold the house. If there were to be any major disasters, what type of liability do I still have to that house? I did no structural work, just electrical and drywall

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMil

Jimmy,

If this is important see a lawyer, if not go to a bar, order a beer, and ask your question. A bar is full of people who will give you advice that is likely to be wrong.

Good luck, Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Did you get permits for the work? Did you have your installation inspected? Do you have liability insurance? Are you a limited liability corporation (LLC)? Are you licensed to do the work?

Each "no"answer increases your exposure. You should contact a lawyer who specializes in construction law to find out your potential liability in your state.

Reply to
John Grabowski

anyone in that house can hold you liable for most anything, well, they can ask the courts to give them a judgement, or the cops to arrest you.

once you post a question like this in a public place, it's kind of like admitting guilt - what did you do or what happened ?

Reply to
bumtracks

On 12/8/2004 8:18 AM US(ET), David Martel took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Just like here, only we can't see who else is drinking. Some of the responses are a good indication, though.

Reply to
willshak

I am not admiting guilt to anything, nothing happened, I was just wondering what the worst case cenarrio would be.

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMil

Likely none as long as you don't hide any defects from the next buyer.

People are allowed to do work on their own property. That is why one gets an inspection when buying someone else's house, to help find out stuff like that before you sign and take liability.

Reply to
John Hines

This is Turtle.

It is hard to sue over a home owner doing his own work on his house for he come under the Not For Hire work. If you did not submitt a bill to your self in so many words the job did not happen. If you have no bill for services submitted and you claim a bad memorey ,your good to go.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE