Polybutylene tubing to copper connection

The cold water manifold in my home had a leak due to cracked polybutylene compression fittings in the cold water manifold, more like a mess than a manifold, coming into the house. I have since built a copper manifold to install. At some point in the future I plan to remove the poly tubing and replace with PEX. For now what is the best way to connect the poly to the copper. What is there now is the plastic and brass compression fittings originonally installed and the solid brass fittings I used for repair. Also I removed a 14ft piece of the poly that fed a bathroom and laundryroom. These pieces are 15 years old and when I examined them they appeared as new inside and out. I understand I may have some legal recourse to get the replacement paid, until then I just want to get this boobytrap out of my wall before some more of the plastic fittings crack. So what is the best way to transition from the poly pipe to the copper manifold. About 10 years ago I used all brass compession fittings when I replaced the tub fixture and have had no problems with it. Also all of the fixtures are fed by lines home run to the manifold, would it be OK to install shutoff valves at the new manifold. I was thinking this may be a good idea in case some of the other platic fitting crack elsewhere in the house.

TIA Jimmie

BTW The orional fittings showed quite a bit of oxidation on the inside while the pipes show none. Is this normally the case with polybutylene. Is it the fittings that cause the problem?

Reply to
Jimmie D

Really, I thought it was long exposure to Chlorine. So far the hot water manifold is unaffected, Just the fittings on the cold side have been a problem. Its obvious there has been some serious oxidation going on in the fittings but the pipe seems to be OK. Is this usually the case.

Reply to
Jimmie D