brazing copper tubing

Any HVAC guys using Mapp gas for silver brazing on copper tubing. been looking at a CROSSTECH torch, is mapp gas a waste or not for this application.

Reply to
Chet

Use Oxyacetylene, with 15% alloy Silphos.

Reply to
Steve

I've used Mapp for silver brazing, and also for Sta-Brite. Works nicely.

Years ago, I bought a pound of 15% silver brazing stick, which worked well. When that ran out, I got a pound of much cheaper stuff, that didn't work as well.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I second that.

Reply to
Don Ocean

take any bets on if he destroys the seals in the vapor line service valve?? He ain't gonna do it right, he's gonna do it as cheap as he *thinks* he can get by with.

This is from an e-mail that he sent me along with my reply:

there is a reason I told you to use tin...not ductboard. Along with attachment issues, you can plan on replacing the ductboard in 10 years when it falls apart. Its not just about price.

Reply to
Steve

Well Steve! guess what the HVAC tech came today and did the brazing, you can take all the bets you want, you may be a HVAC tech, but I say we take some bets you are off the wall, I chose ductboard because it is something I can work with, cheap has nothing to do with it, I enjoy doing things myself, it is my nature, I built my own home, I enjoyed building it. I installed my 98% high efficiency gas boiler myself, and has people say what a nice job, I asked some questions and you look for a weakness in someone, take a hike......

Chet

Reply to
Chet

Some fellows just have to pay the highest price in education to save a dime. Mapp gas is OK for an emergency if you know how to handle it for light work. Average AC brazing is best done quickly and with Silver Phos Oxy-acetylene. don't forget to trickle nitrogen to prevent oxidation scale in the system. We keep Stormy here to give Home owners a handicap. The rest of us make a great deal of money repairing these messes.

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Don Ocean

\

Chet, Good tin ductwork is factory built except for custom stuff. It can be purchased reasonably at any Lowes, Home Depot or Menards. I am one contractor that looks at the durability and fire and smoke control of using metal ducting. I can safely install Humidifiers, Zone dampers, fire dampers, Zone air purifiers and a dozen other items safely and very securely to metal ductwork. While codes allow fibre board..It is far from being what an astute contractor that values your health and safety would install. I am happy that you like doing your own work. When your child needs Neurosurgery, I do hope the folks in that Newsgroup can direct you to the easiest and cheapest DIYS methodology. If not..Do keep Stormy's Email address. He may have some more advice for you along those lines. It is said that God protects Fools and Drunks. For you sake, I would wish that to be true.

Reply to
Alexander

Mapp is fine for silver solder such as Staybright but not hot enough for brazing. Yes, you can braze with it but you will grossly overheat the copper with the length of time you need to get joints up to temperature.

gerry

Reply to
gerry

At my age, it always takes longer ....

Reply to
.p.jm.

Are you saying I should go flux myself ?

Reply to
.p.jm.

Can't fix it?? Flux it!!

Reply to
Steve

I don't know about God protecting fools, but he sure seems to protect drunks. It seems in 90% or more of the crashes from drunk driving, the drunk driver is the only survivor. Stormy being a Mormon, does not get that protection, as he is not supposed to drink alcohol (or even coffee, I have heard). and as for speed, he is only a half fast tech.

RP

Real Pisser

you need a hotter partner to get that old joint going

Real Pisser

Fortunately. Mormons who live the word of wisdom have other divine protections. (The word of Wisdom among other directions prohibits drinking alcohol or hot drinks, at that time being tea and coffee).

Being half fast also cuts down on traffic tickets.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oh! My! I'm not used to all this swearing. I'm getting all fluxtered.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Maybe Stormy's middle name is Jack?

Reply to
Alexander

I think that was a mistype. He probably meant half Assed.

Reply to
Jewdas

If you can't eat it or flux it..Piss on it!

Reply to
Alexander

Jack Mehoff??

Reply to