Copper Tubing Question

My house was built in 1955 and there is 1/2 O.D. tubing coming into the utility room for the washer hook up. I need to change fittings (elbows) and can not find anything that will fit over the 1/2 inch O.D. I have been looking in Lowes (Box store). What should I be asking for or have they stopped making these items?

I find plenty of fittings to fit 1/2 inch copper pipe, but not tubing.

Thanks ChrisGW

Reply to
ChrisGW

You will likely need to use flare fittings. Check the stock at Ace Hardware or NAPA and buy a flaring tool while you're at it. There should be lots of adapters to NPT fittings. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

You can buy sweat fittings for 1/2" OD, but not at any home store. A plumbing or HVAC supply house will have them. We have a rack full of them at work. Perhaps a plumber may have them, but you will not find them at the usual homeowner retail stores. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Odd that they would use such a small diam for washer supply.

You can get a copper coupling to go from 1/2" OD to 1/2"C (trade size). Then use 1/2" C pipe to go to any common fittings. As Greg said, not a big box item.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

My mom's whole house is plumbed with 3/8" OD soft copper! No crawl space, but there is a space between the floor and the dirt below, not deep enough to consider it a crawl space. Seems the previous owner pulled 3/8" copper with fish tape to the appropriate places. Strangely enough, all the fixtures have good water flow. I guess the city has good water pressure to make up the differance. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Is there a reliability difference between "soft copper" flexible tubing, and standard L copper piping? Is flexible tubing permissible under Uniform Plumbing Code. I suppose it is, but it is probably more expensive. I've never used it.

Reply to
John B

BobK207

Thanks guys. I never thought about using flare fittings. I will be going to a plumbing supply store Monday to get some 1/2" fittings . It is a small place, but will keep my fingers crossed. If they do not have I will try flare fittings. I have a flaring tool, so that works out also.

Thanks again

ChrisGW

Reply to
ChrisGW

There's half inch actual, and half inch nominal. If it's actually half inch, thats the dimension AC and refrigeration fittings use. Might want to see if you can find an AC or refrigeration guy to get you some fittings.

Can you cut a length of half inch (nominal) copper pipe, a couple inches long. see if that slips onto your half inch (actual). You might be able to slip some half inch (nominal) over the end of the tube, sweat it on, and go from there with the nominal fittings.

Half inch (nominal) copper tubing works nicely to make bushings for worn out lawn mower wheels. File the hole in the wheel out a little, and cut a length of copper as long as the wheel is thick. Squeeze the copper tubing in and then it fits right back onto th e half inch (actual) diameter bolt.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon