Polarity Problem

The blades on both of my circular saws are spinning counter-clockwise? What could have caused this?

Reply to
Dick Adams

?????

Handheld circular saw looked at from sawblade end w/ the handle up, I presume???

If so, that's the proper direction; a handheld circular sawblade cuts up into the material forcing it up against the baseplate (just like a table saw upside down).

Reply to
dpb

Applying power to the saw's motor will cause that to happen.

Release the switch or unplug the saw. The blades will stop turning.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote in news:jthj21$iu2$1 @reader1.panix.com:

The taxing question is, whether the blade is spinning backwards or forward, not clockwise or counter. Is the problem that the blade doesn't really cut? Do the teeth bite into wood, or are they "stroking" the wood? If the latter, try removing the blade and putting it back on upside down, so the teeth face the other way.

Reply to
Han

Your electricity source is from south of the equator.

Borrowed from a poster on rec.woodworking:

I think its time for me to explain about 240 current and why it is so different from 120 volt service. First of all, it's twice as big. Secondly, it'll shock you more. Outside of that, 240 is really two

120 volt lines coming to your house from different parts of the globe. The up and down 120 comes from the northern hemisphere, and the down and up version comes from below the equator.

Without trying to get technical, it all boils down to the direction water flows when it goes down the drain. In the top of the earth, it goes clockwise, while on the bottom of the earth it goes counter clockwise. Since most electricity is made from hydro dams, the clockwise flow gives you an up and down sine wave, while the counterclockwise version gives you a down and up sine wave. Between the two, you have 240 volts, while either individual side only gives you 120 volts.

This is particularly important to know when buying power tools -- which side of the globe did they come from? If you get an Australian saw, for instance, it will turn backwards if connected to a US generated 120 volt source. Sure, you can buy backwards blades for it, but that is an unnecessary burden. Other appliances, like toasters cannot be converted from Australian electricity to American electricity. I knew one person who bought an Australian toaster by mistake and it froze the slices of bread she put in it.

If you wire your shop with 240 and accidentally get two US-generated

120 volt lines run in by accident, you can get 240 by using a trick I learned from an old electrician. Just put each source into its own fuse box and then turn one of the boxes upside down. That'll invert one of the two up and down sine waves to down and up, giving you 240. DO NOT just turn the box sideways, since that'll give you 165 volts and you'll be limited to just using Canadian tools with it.
Reply to
Sonny

Check the motor connections, if there are three wires and one of them is green, ignore everything else in the comment above. Then make sure you haven't installed the blade backward. Or look at the saw from the other direction and you will find it is indeed spinning clockwise.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

Dick Adams wrote the following on 7/10/2012 11:51 AM (ET):

You're looking at the wrong side of the CS. Look at the other side.

Reply to
willshak

Remove and reveres face of the blade?

Reply to
Grumpy

Probably designed that way by the manufacturer.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It'll still turn the same direction.

Don't feed the trolls.

Reply to
krw

messagenews:jthj21$iu2$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com...

But I've never seen a three phase hand held circular saw.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

e:

der1.panix.com...

Nor have I ever seen a three phase motor suddenly up and change rotational directions without some kind of major problem form the power company or someone rewiring incorrectly on premises...

When you drop a phase on a 3-phase motor it doesn't put out its rated HP and won't handle a loaded condition... It doesn't all of the sudden start rotating backwards...

Reply to
Evan

te:

ader1.panix.com...

I pointed that out to him earlier in the thread. Perhaps he is ignoring me.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com...

A synopis:

I doubt that the OP has two 3 phase "bench saws", mistakenly called them "circular saws" - a term typically reserved for hand held saws only - and also doesn't know that his 3 phase power was recently altered.

If he really has two 3 phase "bench saws", then he has a fairly sophisticated workshop and should know if his power has been worked on.

You'll notice that we haven't heard back from the OP, haven't you?

Methinks it's at best an attempt at humor, at worst a troll.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

messagenews:jthj21$iu2$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com...

You are a complete idiot, harry.

Reply to
krw

messagenews:jthj21$iu2$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com...

How did you get so lucky?

Reply to
krw

messagenews:jthj21$iu2$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com...

Not with circular saws, it isn't, moron. I doubt in all of history that it's happened once.

Reply to
krw