persistent dryer squeak

About six months ago we hired someone to fix the squeak in our dryer, a Frigidaire FDE7977ESO. They replaced front glides, rear bearing, and lower felt.

Now a squeak has returned, only it's much, much, much louder. It's ear-splitting. When it's squeaking I can' t be in the same room without ear plugs. It seems to be coming from the rear of the drum.

Could the rear bearing be shot already, in six months? Is there anything else I should check?

The noise occurs once per revolution of the drum.

Reply to
craft.brian

Probably the idler pulley. Do a google on it. Best way to confirm is to open it up and start turning the belt. If it's from the pulley you will be able to hear the squeal coming from the pulley.

The pulley keeps the proper tension on the belt and they commonly go out.

here's a link that shows you various configerations of the pulley/belt. They are a pretty simple fix for DIY. Parts about $35 unless they have gone up significantly since the last one I bought about four years ago.

Reply to
timbirr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: opps forgot the link:

timbirr

Ours was the set screw on the main motor pully. Even though there was a hole in the motor shaft for the set screw to seat in, every year or so it worked loose again. Screamed like a banchi. Finally cut an access hole thru the sheet metal in the back so I could get an alen wrench in there easily. That dryer is gone now...RIP...I don't miss it.

Reply to
Dan K

Arclight

Despite having had the rear bearing done already, maybe they didn't do it right. There is only one way to check, which is to remove the drum and look at the area.

  1. Unplug dryer.
  2. Insert putty knife at left and right of top, and rotate up on its hinges.
  3. Remove two screws at left and right that hold front to sides.
  4. There may be a plastic thing at 12:00 on front that needs to be removed, at front edge of drum.
  5. Pry front off sides, rotate out and up off of clips at bottom.
  6. Release belt (you can do this from the back access if you want.
  7. Using belt to assist, left drum out of rear bearing, forward, and out of cabinet.
  8. Inspect ball on drum for smoothness, replace if not smooth.
  9. Inspect cup on back of cabinet for degradation. There should be non-dry lubrication in grooves of this part. If just dry, wipe away and add more. If plastic is degraded, replace part.

Both parts and related screws come as a kit, or can be purchased individually.

Reply to
nospamtodd

Many driers have two rollers in the back which support the drum. These are famous for squeaking. Call the same guy back out, and ask him to dry lube the other two rollers. Real shame he didn't do all them on the same trip. Maybe if you remind him, he'll give you a break on the price.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon