Floor squeak and joist bracing

My 40-yr-old home has an annoying squeaky spot under the carpet in one area. When I was in the crawlspace insulating the water pipes, I noticed a place in the same general area as the squeak where one cross-brace "leg" had become unattached from the joist. Could this be causing the squeak? If so, would just nailing it on again fix the squeak, or should I put some sort of shim between the floorboard and the joist first? Joists are 16" o.c., if that matters.

Thx.

Reply to
Axial

Nail it and find out !!!!!

Reply to
maradcliff

Yes, but I would screw it not nail it.

BTW, it that does not fix it, then I suggest getting some of the screws made for the use and then screwing through the carpet to tighten the sub-floor to the floor joist.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Adding glue to the screw also works wonders.

Reply to
Les Nessman