Pentium IV computers have "internal" USB port?

Page 2 of 2
On 01/31/2014 05:14 PM, Lab Lover wrote:
[snip]

So I usually avoid "tech support". The last time I had to (mobile hotspot) I got people with strong Indian accents who ignored 90% of what I said, seemed to know very little about the product, and gave no helpful advice. Then I'd be cut off, or (a couple of times switched to Sprint). The Sprint person was easy to talk to but this is not a Sprint device.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
Lab Lover;3190845 Wrote:

You have a point, Lab Lover.
For the few bucks it'll costs me, I'd be stupid NOT to try.
--
nestork

Please come back and let us know how you make out!

keyboard/mouse at a clients yesterday - only had a ps2 KVM and only one computer had ps2 connections. I connected the ps2 mouse and keyboard to the KVM, and the kvm to the computer with PS2 ports, started it, then connected the kvm to the new computer with ps2/usb adapter plugs (the little purple and green adpters that used to come with kbds and mice), switched it to the second position, and started the second computer - no problem. Switches back and forth perfectly.
So it CAN work.
On Sat, 01 Feb 2014 15:24:22 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yup, I purchased a number of high end PS2 KVMs on eBay a number of years back (for chump change) and in combination with a bunch of $1.99 dual adapters from Fry's, they work great!
On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 23:14:25 +0100, nestork

adapter.
On 1/31/2014 2:14 PM, nestork wrote:

I doubt that they know what they're talking about.
You're unlikely to find a PS/2 card. Even the PCI card was probably a PCI to USB chip and a USB to PS/2 chip.
The PS/2 ports were in the 8042 keyboard controller on the motherboard (and the 8042 was usually inside the SuperI/O chip) and used IRQ1 and 12. You can't do an exact legacy PS/2 port on PCI or USB, just as you can't do an exact legacy serial or parallel port. But the KVM shouldn't care about any of this.
Since USB to PS2 adapters are so cheap you might as well try one.
sms wrote:

There is even a PS2 to converter converter.
Some new M/B still have one or two PCI slots. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131981
On 1/30/2014 11:21 PM, nestork wrote:

I do not think I have seen a direct answer, yet. Does either machine have native USB and if so, does it have both front and rear ports? The units with front ports usually have motherboard headers that one may repurpose and/or adapt. Make and "model" of your PC's would be of more help. However, if you do not have native USB then you are in the card hunt. I imagine that they are still available, someplace.