Painting wheel rims - need advice

Page 2 of 2

Thanks, that is what I will do. I am not doing this for cosmetic reasons, just don't want the rims to rust.
Bob-tx
On 1/7/2012 8:13 AM, Bob-tx wrote:

Then you should break the bead and get rid of any rust on the inside where the bead seats, that's more important than rust on the outside.
On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 07:18:31 -0600, "Bob-tx" <Live Spam free> wrote:

Vaseline is a common solution - used for decades. A synthetic grease might , theoretically, be better - but if you wipe the vaseline off as soon as the paint dries it won't hurt anything.
Like I said - it's been done, commonly, for decades.
On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 07:18:31 -0600, "Bob-tx" <Live Spam free> wrote:

Although greasing the tire will work, you will not get the rust between the rim and the bead - which is what really matters - and the rust will just come back. So much BETTER - long term - to remove the tires (or just deflate - break the bead, and clean up as much as you can reach - then paint and let dry before re-inflating).
This avoids the likelihood of damaging the new paint when re-installing the tires -- and it WILL happen.
On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 07:18:31 -0600, "Bob-tx" <Live Spam free> wrote:

20 replies and no simple solution. Until now.
Lay the wheel flat on the ground. Take a newspaper and cut or tear it into strips about 2" wide. Dampen them, then lay the strips around the tire until it is covered at the wheel. Cover the rest of the exposed tire and spray away.

Thanks, the simple way is often the best and easiest. Bob-tx
Bob-tx wrote the following:

No one else mentioned it yet, but I may have missed it. There is no need to remove the tire from the wheel. You may have to take the wheel off the axle just to make the following easier. Pull the valve from the tire and let all the air out of the tire. Press down on the tire near the rim edges. You won't break the bead, but just provide a space to place pieces of masking material between the tire and rim to cover the tire. The masking material may be anything you have handy. Cardboard, paper, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, anything that can be pushed between the rim and tire. Cardboard may be the easiest because it can be precut to the arc of the wheel rim and shoved in the space. Work your way around the tire until you've masked off the whole tire. Now just paint the wheel by spraying or brushing the wheel rim, or the whole wheel. After the paint is dry, remove all the masking material and refill the tire with air.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 1/6/2012 9:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

Why say you that?
I provided the easiest solution some time ago. :)