Painting Vinyl Siding

Looking into doing this to my "white" 10 year old siding to change the color of my house. Looking to go darker, like a blue or red.

What paint is available? Do I need a primer? What are some do's and don'ts associated with this? Any websites out there with some helpful hints? Any info will be helpful. Thanks.

Reply to
SteveC

D> Looking into doing this to my "white" 10 year old siding to change the color

Google says it's possible. Try this site:

Personally I think you are destroying the value of vinyl siding. Vinyl will last a really long time and should not deteriorate. I don't think the paint will do nearly as well.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I painted our home. It's on year 4 and we are in the harsh North Atlantic. It's held up well and a lot cheaper than replacing the siding. We painted as siding does deteriorate - fade. Use 100% acrylic paint with 0 primer. We used flat paint. I went through the pain of using my pressure washer with TSP to clean it first and remove the film from the siding. This provided good bonding (let dry well).

One tip I was given was to "lift" the siding at the overlap joints and paint in under 1-2". This was due to normal contraction of the siding. Another important tip is never go a darker shade than the siding color thats on it now. This will cause warping due to heat. Ie: my house was a light blue. We used a light yellow (could have used a light green, red etc).

Reply to
robson

From the Benjamin Moore website, FWIW

Vinyl and aluminum siding require regular maintenance and repair, just like any exterior painted surface.

Repainting these kinds of surfaces helps:

Restore weathered or faded siding to nearly the original factory finish Change your home's color scheme Protect your siding with the latest coating technology and quality paint products Is it possible to paint vinyl and aluminum siding successfully?

The answer to this frequently asked question is "yes."

While paint adhesion can be affected by the wax or silicone layer common in newly-installed aluminum siding, and by plasticizers in vinyl siding, these compounds are removed naturally by time and weather.

Applying paint on vinyl and aluminum siding is actually easier and less labor-intensive than its application on wood, masonry, or hardboard surfaces. Because they do not retain moisture, these sidings dry off quickly and are easier to clean.

Use a brush, roller, or spray equipment to apply paint on these surfaces. In most cases, a primer is not necessary;apply two coats will provide optimal protection and longevity.

General Care: Cleaning Before you begin painting, hand-scrub or power wash your surface to clean away any mildew or chalk, to ensure maximum adhesion and to avoid staining.

To clean your surfaces, products such as our Moorwood® Multipurpose Cleaner & Brightener (063) are ideal. No matter which cleaner you use, remember to rinse surfaces thoroughly with clean water after washing.

For power washing, use caution with your pressure settings so that you do not damage the siding or remove sound paint. Take care also not to use power washing around windows, doors, vents, soffits, or other openings.

General Care: Priming Spot prime any bare aluminum areas, and be sure to prime any pitted or porous areas in vinyl siding. For this task, we recommend Benjamin Moore Fresh Start® All Purpose 100% Acrylic Primer (023).

After your surfaces are prepared, apply two coats of a high-quality exterior paint, such as MoorGlo® 100% Acrylic House Paint (096) or MoorGard® Low Lustre Latex House Paint (103). Both are available in ready-mixed and custom colors.

With vinyl siding, avoid using a color deeper than your original siding shade. Darker colors absorb more heat, which can cause your siding to warp and result in additional repairs and expense.

Selecting Paints For coating both vinyl and aluminum siding, products such as our MoorGlo 100% Acrylic House and Trim Paint (N096) or MoorGard Low Lustre Latex House Paint (103) are ideal choices.

These paints offer superior adhesion due to the presence of alkyd emulsion. When combined with an acrylic latex resin and premium quality pigments, the result is a superior, flexible coating that is able to withstand wide fluctuations in temperature.

They also provide excellent gloss and color retention, and can be applied in temperatures as low as 35 degrees Fahrenheit. Another benefit?they are formulated to resist mildew growth, dirt and fumes.

Maintenance After painting, washing the siding each spring will maintain your home's appearance and extend the life of your paint job.

Reply to
Bonnett Decorating

WOW, thanks for the info. I now feel better going ahead with this project in the spring.

Cheers!

Reply to
SteveC

ask a realtor, you are likely about to decrease your homes value. no matter what paint wears scratches and fails.

you are turning a no maintence home into a repaint every 5 or 10 years, and will pay the price at home resale time.

Reply to
hallerb

Vinyl and aluminum wear also. My old aluminum chalked so much that when I cleaned it, it was mostly bare metal. And no matter what's up

-- metal, vinyl, wood -- it wears and requires maintenance.

Reply to
Hopkins

Vinyl does not require maintenance. Unless you consider a powerwashing every 10 years maintenance.

Mines at 20+ years and it looks brand new.

Reply to
Dan Espen

It was a very good move for me. The life of the siding (30+ yrs) had faded out. $600.00 in paint or $6000 in new siding. Where I reside wood siding (rough side out) is preferred over anything else and is a selling factor in home resale. 120+ year old homes in my immediate area with anything but wood siding, well, just looks cheap and tacky.

Reply to
robson

well the OP is painting to change color from white to red. the red color may cause siding to expand and contract more.

I would have zero objections if the vinyl were worn and being repainted the same color.

but expansion may cause wear at overlap points, vinyl moves a lot, thats why its never nailed solidly in place.

OP is creating maintence issues while devaluing his home....

Reply to
hallerb

It's just temporary till we can afford to replace the siding. I don't mind touching up spots here and there every year, not a big deal for me. If I can get 2-3 years out of it till I can replace the siding, I will be happy.

Reply to
SteveC

Easily done with any good exterior paint. Think very hard about what you are doing though.

My wife has wanted me to paint our house just co change color, but I'm not doing it. We have no plants tomove so I'm not going to paint it now and have to do it again in five to ten ears when I'm older and retired with less income. The way my siding has aged, I'm good for another 30 years of no labor. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

talked to a neighbor today who painted his siding on upper part of home 10 years ago when putting on addition.

he had it painted white on white because the new siding didnt match the old it had yellowed. its held up ok for the early years , but has worn off here and there and is now peeling.

they did a real pro job, pressure washed, delustered, primed and two coats of paint. ended up 1/2 the price of new siding.

he is preparing to sell and downsize and really regrets they didnt replace it. his wife wanted a jacuzzi tub, which got little use and is now covered with a wood plank, after wife tired of cleaning it, even unused, it got dusty.

again new siding doesnt exactly match old, realtor said paining will make it harder to sell and decrease home value, his only option appears a complete reside aboutr 12 grand, by the first estimate

Reply to
hallerb