Paint Question?

I have a shed that has an oil based stain on it and would like to paint it. My question is to paint it do i have to use an oil based paint or can i use latex?

Reply to
John Kerkes

For flat finish you can use latex. But Stain does not peel, using a solid color latex stain will look like paint and never peel. Paint peels.

Reply to
m Ransley

Colby, you are right you are not a painter, the stain sealed the wood, priming is the Home Depot way, a waste of money and time, but it sells product.

Reply to
m Ransley

I'm not a pro painter but IMO you should use a bonding primer (latex or oil) and topcoat as you wish. I would suggest two finish coats for durability.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

There are questions to be answered.... How long ago was it painted with the oil stain? What is the surface? Is it rough sawn T-111 or smooth lap siding?

If the oil has been on for a long time, you should be able to just pressure wash it down and paint latex right over it. If the surface is roughsawn T-111 then I doubt you'll need any primer. Smooth faced wood might need a primer, check with the manufacturer. There's probably a 1-800# on the can. Either way I would use a solid body stain instead of paint if you don't mind a flat finish.

jmo, John

Reply to
John/Charleston

If you're going to paint it, make sure it's clean and prime it first. I know Ransley knows everything, but you don't when or how well the stain was applied. And contrary to the other post, I've seen bad peeling on rough-sawn.

Of course, if you applied the oil stain last year, then have at it. Start slinging your choice of finish paints.

Reply to
Hopkins