Water or oil based deck stain

We are getting ready to power wash and stain our deck after 2 years. Last time I used Olympic oil based stain. I have been leaing towards a water based this time. Can anyone recomend a good one from Home Depot or Lowes? Or is it better to stay with Oil based? The deck is ceder.

Thanks,

Brian in MI

Reply to
Brian

An easy find at google/groups. The topic has been power washed here for years now.

Reply to
Bobby Nite

From Consumer's reports:

4 YEAR The following products survived four years' exposure but now need to be reapplied.

Cabot Decking Stain

Glidden Endurance Deck & Siding Oil Stain

3 YEAR The following products survived three years' exposure but now need to be reapplied.

Wolman Durastain

Olympic Water Repellent Deck Stain

Olympic Natural Look Protector Plus

True Value Woodsman Deck Stain

Olympic Clear Wood Preservative

Olympic Water Guard Wood Clear

Pratt & Lambert Stainshield Oil Deck Stain

Wolman Rain Coat with Natural Wood Toner

Benjamin Moore Moorwood Alkyd Transparent Deck and Siding Stain

Rhinoguard Wood Defense

True Value Woodsman UV Wood Sealer & Protector

Akzo Nobel Sikkens Cetol SRD

Penofin Penetrating Oil Finish 350 VOC

Sherwin-Williams UV Sunblock Deck & Wood Seal by Cuprinol Group

2 YEAR The following products survived two years' exposure but now need to be reapplied.

Sherwin-Williams Clear Deck & Siding Wood Finish by Cuprinol Group

Glidden Endurance Deck Sealer for Pressure Treated Wood

1 YEAR The following products are holding up well after one year's exposure.

Cabot Solid Color

Pittsburgh Rez Solid Color

Wolman Extreme

The following products performed poorly in their first year and will not be tested further.

Thompson's Wood Protector Clear Preservative

Cabot Clear Solution

Ace Wood Royal Deck & Siding Stain

Olympic Pressure Treated Deck & Fence Clear Protector

DAP Water Repellent Sealer

Thompson's Water Seal

Thompson's Water Seal Ultra

Wolman Rain Coat Water Repellent

Reply to
John

Don't power wash a deck.

Don't use water based or solid color stains.

Don't buy the crap brands at Home Crapo or Lowes.

Do use lightly tinted oils and brush them on thin.

Do buy top shelf coatings like Cabots, Sikkens, Benwood, etc.

Reply to
davefr