Deck cleaning and staining

I am looking for feedback on three items. I am putting the first stain on a 10 month old pine deck in Virginia. I am planning to lightly power wash and then stain it.

I do not own a power washer but I am going to buy one. I will clean siding and driveway with the power washer as well as deck. A long hose and adjustable pressure would be key. Any recommendations on brand?

I will be using a deck cleaner. I was thinking of using Behr No.63 Wood Cleaner and Brightener conditioner but I am not tied to this product. Any suggestions?

I am looking for a stain that will last at least two years if not more. I have a friend that swears by ABR X100. It seems ok but I want the best. Anybody standing strong behind their choice of stain?

Thanks Eddy

Reply to
Eddy

Eddy,

I just redid my deck using Cabot's driftwood gray #1444. I get 3 years per application. This is a deck stain that allows the wood grain to show through. The solid color stains which hide the grain are supposed to last longer. Be careful with the deck cleaner. The cleaner I used caused a chemical burn. Wear gloves and goggles. Follow directions.

Good luck, Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Save your money on the power washer. (they aren't good for soft wood)

Use Jomax, bleach and water in a garden sprayer. You can also use a long handled car wash brush on any bad spots. After 20 minutes rinse the deck.

Now you can use a deck brightener product if the deck looks too gray.

After several days of drying, stain it using a lightly pigmented semi-transparent oil based stain. (Sikkens, Olympic, Benwood, Cabot) Use a natural bristle brush and apply it thin and only work on cool shady surfaces. Repeat in 2-3 years.

Reply to
davefr

Yeah I can vouch for the powerwasher. I let my son do my deck and it blew apart alot of the wood surface. Will have to replace it sooner or later.

Brian in MI

Reply to
Brian