Waterproofing basement, should I also do a sump pump?

Hi,

I am having a professional waterproof the basement of my 80 year-old house. It is a rubble foundation that hasn't been leaking but has been taking in a lot of moisture and resulting in a musty smell etc.

They are digging around the foundation, installing weeping tile, using hydraulic cement to fill cracks, then using a tar/rubber-type sealer, followed by a rubber membrane. Weeping tiles will be connected to the drain system.

I am wondering if I should bother installing a sump pump in the basement while I am at it, or if the above waterproofing will suffice.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Reply to
Dirk Puslich

What about When your water heater or pipes or washing machine hoses break and you are not home.

Reply to
m Ransley

Depends on your local geology. If nobody for miles around has a sump pump, then, no. If your location is on top of a hill of glacial till then, no. If you have low rainfall rates then, no. Some serious local research will give you the data to make a sound judgement. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

If I had an 80 yr old basement that wasn't actually leaking, I sure wouldn't be spending all that money and effort to try to eliminate a musty odor. I also wouldn't be surprised if it does nothing to fix the odor. Did you try a dehumidifier?

Reply to
Chet Hayes