Deck Staining ?

What's the best method for staining a pressure treated deck (10 x 24)? It does have spindles on the railings.

Electric sprayer?

Roller & brush?

Pump sprayer ?

I also want to seal it for water (Thompsons, ect)

What are some recommendation?

Also should I stain and or water seal the under side? Best methods for underneath? Should I do the underside first or last or at all?

Thanks

Reply to
Postal68

Your deck is relatively small and guessing it's the only one you have.

Has to be rented I suppose. Not worth it for your one small deck.

That's what I would suggest.

I have heard that it works but am skeptical.

That stuff is OK but just OK. have read in other posts that it is a waxy type finish which will come off on your clothes and such also that it has to be replaced often.

you ask for a penetrating stain at the paint store. You can get it tinted different colors. Apply by whatever means neccessary. use a roller to get the stain on then then use a brush to even out and work into the cracks. Most everyone ignores the underneath esp if it is not visible. If you want to do it then that's your deck. If you want more protection then spar varnish or exterior polyeruathane are used. Take your business to a real paint store.

Reply to
Lawrence

Brush

Don't use Thompsons.

Cabot Decking stain.

Stain the underside. It will last a long time.

Brush.

Doesn't matter. What does matter is that the deck is clean and dry.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have a 12'x24' deck with PT boards. Every 3 yrs or so I re-finish it with a Behr deck stain. I use the Behr deck wash with a stiff brush on the end of a broom handle, wash down with jet nozzle from a hose (NOT a power washer, which I found can damage the boards!), let dry 24 hrs, then apply the stain with a 4" brush. Stay off for another 24 hrs.

The advantage of a brush over a roller is that you can work the stain into the side edges between boards...not really possible with a roller. I attached the brush to a broom handle with some duct tape so I'm not on my hands and knees. Its easier on my back!!

I once tried a deck sprayer. It got airborne and made a mess of the house siding before I threw that away. Plus it looked abit gloppy on the boards and I ended up using a brush anyway to smooth it out.

If this is a new deck, make sure you let the boards dry thoroughly for a few weeks before staining. Boards off the rack at HD will often be wet. I stained after building so staining underneath was not possible (ground level deck).

--Jeff

Reply to
JB

I'm guessing I should sand any rough areas(if any) and then give it a good pressure washing before staining ?

Reply to
Postal68

I have heard that sealing the bottom can actually lessen the life because it traps water in the wood that would otherwise evaporate from the bottom. Any opinions?

Reply to
Bob F

Penofin oil says to do all side before you assemble the deck. In my case, I did the underside as my deck is 8' off the ground and I have a patio under it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski