Outlaw police guns, immediately

Page 1 of 2
http://rochester.ynn.com/content/top_stories/592387/off-duty-officer-mistakenly-shoots-son-to-death /
Another reason to prohibit cops from carrying guns. If only one life could be saved!

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/top_stories/592387/off-duty-officer-mistakenly-shoots-son-to-death /
Just shows the mentality of halfwits who carry guns. Paranoiac and fearful.

When one considers that the police shoot nearly 6 times as many innocent bystanders as armed citizens, while armed citizens shoot more than twice as many criminals, one has to wonder who the ignorant halfwits really are
harryagain wrote:

Hmm. I guess I'm beyond the pale: I carry TWO guns. I carry a standard 9mm weapon (a CZ-75) for personal protection and a .22 revolver as my BUG (Back Up Gun).
Since 1995, when the concealed weapon law went into effect in my state, I've displayed my weapon three times to discourage a quite possible assault or robbery. Admittedly, two of these incidents were in disreputable venues (a Home Depot parking lot).
So far, I haven't had to shoot anyone (does shooting a hippie count?), but by the same metric no periwinkle has shot or robbed me.

I only did it once when two individuals were making a beeline for me from 2 different directions, in a parking lot, late a night. Interestingly, as soon as a turned to face both of them and very obviously drew my gun to a low carry, they immediately , and in perfect synchronization, changed direction and boogied off at speed on a path perpendicular to their original directions . That was clear confirmation of my initial estimate that their intentions were not friendly.
On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 07:53:47 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

Unfortunately, had they not been of criminal intent but just other people out walking it possible that they could have gotten all upset when you showed the gun, called the police, and had you arrested for threatening them by showing them your gun.

It takes more than showing a gun in my state. I had a teenager pull a shotgun on me, barrel pointing right at my belly. The situation diffused & I called the cops. Cops asked "But did he actually *say* he was going to shoot you?" When I said "no" the cop said "Sorry, nothing I can do." Obvious intent trumped by lack of verbal statement.

Wow That is exactly why my lawyer made the suggestion of drawing but holding the gun against your leg pointing at the ground. It's hard to infer intent when clearly the gun is NOT pointed at someone.

Possible but frankly not of consideration. 1) There were no other cars near my car 2) There were no other exits near my car 3) They had no business making a beeline for me from 2 different directions. 4) They were not dressed in any fashion that justified their presence there 5) They were no dressed in any fashion that made me believe they had any legal business with me 6) Their sudden almost synchronized change of direction at me reaching for my gun was confirmation enough that they were not approaching me to ask for a light
And frankly as soon as they skedaddled, I drove away. So the cops would have had a hard time identifying me or my car. At best, they would be able to claim it was a station-wagon.
Not to mention that it would be a hard sell for the police to charge me with threatening just because I unholstered and held the gun to my leg pointing to the ground. My lawyer ,who happens to be a shootist, and also was a prosecutor for over 20 years, is the one who suggested that to be the first step in case I felt threatened. And I'll take his advice over yours any day.
Atila Iskander wrote:

Yep. The "offense" is in the mind of the beholder. In your case it matters not that the two people were soliciting contributions to the Home For Abused Otters. What YOU saw and concluded is the ONLY thing that matters.
If, of course, your apprehension agreed with the "reasonable man" test...

LOL We were just discussing a running gag in the series Due South, where the main character acquired a scar on his chest, while in grade school, because another student has swung a dead otter at him..
Atila Iskander wrote:

He 'otter' know better than to take offense!
Ashton Crusher wrote:

On two of the three occasions I had to display my weapon, *I* was the one who called the police.
Both times the cops volunteered that I did the right thing (by displaying the weapon).
HeyBub wrote:

I bet it gave you a hard-on just saying that.

So what you're basically saying is that your goal in life is to be the next George Zimmerman...

George Zimmerman deserves a medal for ridding the world of a piece of crap!

AGREED!.
Trayvon was caught at his Miami school with a "burglar tool" and a dozen pieces of womens jewelry in his backpack. So it is very probable that he WAS casing homes to burgle,and got angry when he found he was being watched by Zimmerman. It would explain the violent attack,and also accounts for why he was "acting suspiciously" and roaming around the neighborhood at night. The "skittles and tea" was probably a convenient excuse to go out after dark. Trayvon was NOT a "good kid",he was bad enough to have been suspended from school several times,and bad enough his mom shipped him from Miami to Sanford so his "father" could keep him in line. HARDLY "innocent".
I also learned that Trayvon's "father" was out on the town with his GF that night,and "home alone" Trayvon apparently was NOT grounded(or violated his grounding),and decided to make a trip to the 7-11. Amazing that a "father" would not ground his son after his being suspended from school AGAIN,this time for a whole week,and apparently bad enough that his "mom" shipped him off to Sanford. I also wonder if the "parents" were told by the school of their finding the burglar tool and jewelry in Trayvon's backpack.
then there's the matter of Trayvon's gold "grill"; starting cost is $600-1000 for a basic set. Then add in several tattoos at about $50 a pop,and that's some serious money for an unemployed 17 yr old. Maybe he paid for all that with proceeds from stolen jewelry? I doubt his mom is going to hand over that sort of cash to the kid.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Funny how so many hoplophobes have fantasies about other people's sexual responses

Nope A paranoid shithead hoplphobe, namely you, said that

seems the anti-gun folks always connect guns to penises. sounds like projection to me.

[...]

Isn't "Root" HomoGay?

2 * 0 = 0