OT: Vinyl LPs to MP3 transfer

Page 6 of 7

Thinking a USB flash drive you can't easily short pins. Should be ok to insulate. Wonder if they sell shorting plugs.
Greg
wrote in

How about just store them in a metal box?

Same here

Now, if the farm were in active grain/livestock production rather than all in native grass with simply annual haying/grazing/maintenance, it would be a necessity for markets and labor and all that...but, that's why I've left it as is when came back after dad died as he had retired from active farming--no desire (nor need) to re-enter the ratrace even if on a different race circuit...
And all you cloud-humpers who despise hard copies of anything: If those hackers could do what they did to Sony Pictures, imagine what they could do to your beloved "cloud". Just a sobering thought.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:00:36 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I am not really a cloud guy myself but if someone wants to steal all of my stolen music, go for it ;-)
As Lee Marvin said in the Wild One "I gleeped it from a guy what gleeped it"
7:17 snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
"I am not really a cloud guy myself but if someone wants to steal all of my stolen music, go for it ;-)
As Lee Marvin said in the Wild One "I gleeped it from a guy what gleeped it"
I'm not talking about some one stealing it. Yeah, I see your senility kicking in so I'll put it bluntly: your cloud is WIPED OUT, ERASED. NO music available because the cloud ITSELF no longer exists.
Now what'chyou gonna do??
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 16:51:40 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Go look at one of the 8 or 10 other drives it is on and see if they got to it there too. As I said I load my music directory on every PC I own and I have a bunch.
8:36 snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
"Go look at one of the 8 or 10 other drives it is on and see if they got to it there too. As I said I load my music directory on every PC I own and I have a bunch. "
Good for you. Can we negotiate a price for your physical collection(piece meal or by the dozen)?
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 17:53:15 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I am using them all ;-)
I really do use PCs for all of my A/V needs. They are all on the network so it is easy to move stuff around. There is one under 4 of the 5 TVs here. The newest one is supposed to be "smart" but not nearly as smart as one hooked to a PC. To start with the MP3 player in my $1000 Samsung TV sucks as does the media player for watching stored movies. (I am also in the process of ripping all of my DVDs) I will keep them around but I doubt I will actually play them. BTW a PC is a better DVD player than a regular store bought DVD player. It is a whole lot easier to navigate straight to the move and not have to screw with manually skipping or enduring 5 trailers for movies you don't want to see.
On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 01:05:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And, IMO, everyone should have one of these: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id 70 Buy one of these instead of paying the extra cash for a smart TV and you can move it from room to room. I have 4.
Maybe next generation will have a led display so you can play music without having to having to use the TV
Seymore4Head wrote:

Does that unit have onboard storage for your files or do you have to have other storage media for it ?
--
Snag

You can buy one that comes with an internal hard drive. I recommend buying the one I linked to instead. All versions will connect to your LAN. They connect wired and/or wireless. Having external storage is more flexible.
The version that comes with it's own hard drive depends on your network connection to transfer files from the computer to the player. All players will read directly off of all shared drives on the network. Since the network connection is slower, if you want storage for the unit, it is best to buy an external hard drive and transfer files to the drive with your USB connection. Having an external drive also gives you the option of transferring files to another computer using USB instead of a network connection.
It comes with two USB ports that will connect with all type USB storage devices.
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:07:17 -0500, Seymore4Head

The Samsung smart TV we just bought does not really have any internal user storage. The internal storage is just for apps. You do have 3 USB ports and it will take just about any USB drive or memory stick. The network connection is pretty funky and does not act like a normal PC file sharing connection. You can enable sharing in Media player and share the library tho. I found it easier to simply "sneaker net" the files over on an external drive. The Samsung player is not really that user friendly tho. I suppose if you always watch a movie from beginning to end and want to remember your place it is good but if you stop in the middle for some reason, it stays stuck there, resuming from that point and I have not found an easy way to just start a movie over. It also automatically starts the next movie on the drive when the last one is over. There may be some configuration options but I have not seen them.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 16:51:40 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If/when that happens, listening to music is not going to be a big priority.
8:07 PMSeymore4Head wrote: "If/when that happens, listening to music is not going to be a big priority. "
You missed the point. NOTHING beats physical media and the gear to play it on or rip from.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 17:19:03 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I can't remember the last time I saw a turntable on the store shelves.
Seymore4Head wrote: "On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 17:19:03 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: - show quoted text - I can't remember the last time I saw a turntable on the store shelves. "
I can't remember the last time I experienced such urge, as on this thread, to rid oneself of all physical music media and the equipment to play it on.
Pathetic and ignorant, at the very least.

+1
Seymore4Head wrote:

USB output turntables are around not very expensive. May not be a super duper high audiophile quality tho.