CD to MP3

When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package has an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.

Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album, artist, and track names appeared on the ICE screen.

Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'

Did all this on the same Win7 laptop using WMP (I think) Where did it find all the info displayed for the earlier CDs ? And why not for a new ones?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

did you rip using the same software? or forget to tick the "lookup on gracenote/cddb" option, or maybe you ran the old files through a separate "ID3 tagger", maybe Windows Media Player can do that "by accident"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Two things. First some cds have it in hidden text on other machines you need to interrogate an online database called cddb. If they are home made cds then unless you put the titles in and enabled cd text on writing and did them disc at once not track at once things can get lost.

I use CD Executive and it has CDDb and read from cd text as menu options. Winamp can do this as well but I find that more annoying since I'm blind. Weirdly, some cds that were on CDDB seem to have gone missing recently which means you have to add the data manually and upload it to cddb for others again. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Windows media player is a nightmare, even Itunes can manage to get titles. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's always amazed me that when the CD standard was devised in the late 70s, they didn't reserve a few bytes in the disc's track index for the disc name and artist, and the name of each track. A couple of kB of that data wouldn't have reduced the amount of music data that could be stored by more than a second.

But yes, CD-ripping software needs to identify each disc (by the combination of track lengths, which is why you occasionally get false matches) and then look up the track details in a master database. iTunes is crowdfunded: if people fill in the details manually, it gets uploaded to a master database somewhere that gets downloaded when other people rip the same disc. Other ripping packages probably use a similar mechanism.

Reply to
NY

I think it must be the same software, as comes with Win7 pro. No Nero or whatever I can find on the machine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All commercial CDs. Most of the first catch I did likely favourites from the 80s. The ones I did yesterday, new.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is plenty room on a CD for that text. IIRC, the original 74 minute red book maximum was set by the maximum running time of a US NTSC U-Matic tape - used then for digital recording.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

They did, but CD player manufacturers didn't bother to make use of it so CD masterers stopped putting the information on the CDs.

Music CDs you burn yourself may have stuff put on, such as "Custom Music CD" for the CD title and track names based on the file names of the tracks. CD rippers such as FreeRIP will show such information.

Reply to
Max Demian

Well all new ones have it encoded, but I notice that CDEX itself asks you on a menu if you want to import that data. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But they did. I had the red book and there was spare space, what there was not was a standard of how to use it for metadata. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well had no issues with recent cds like the Cilla and the Liverpool Phil, the most recent purchases all have it on the disc. There was a gap and also some self published ones did not have it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's all a bit of a dark art. My ICE (Citroen) seems to pull the displayed information from it's arse ... no matter what I use to create the tracks (on a USB stick). Whatever it is, it manages to display the least useful part of the metadata possible.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

My cd player used to display track info and it didn't have an internet connection so it got the info from somewhere, I suspect it was the CD.

Reply to
dennis

Some CDs have that data on them. Some rippers can get it off the net when the CD doesn?t have it on the CD.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

the idea that a computer would be cheap enough to incorporate into a player was not foreseen. Computers cost serious money in the 70s, and very few had access to one. The idea seemed wholly unrealistic back then - and it was.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

How did you read the text data?

Reply to
Max Demian

Urban myth say 74 minutes was the length of the Sony boss's wife's favourite symphony - Beethoven's Ninth.

One of the things about getting track data from cddb is that, like Wikipedia, the information is volunteered by the public and, like Wikipedia, needs to be checked vary carefully. I don't need or want things like "(2018 remixed version)" added to track titles.

Reply to
Halmyre

My Ford is much the same, very fussy about how the stick is created, then completely ignores my genre allocations and invents its own. Don't mention playlists. :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Try ripping something that you have already tried and see if you get the correct track listing.

The lists often come from an internet data base which probably has to be configured in some settings and/or you have changed a menu option to look locally rather than on the remote data base.

There should be no difference between finding the track data etc. for something produced 20 years ago and for something recorded on CD in the last week.

Reply to
alan_m