CD to MP3

When I got my present car a year or so ago, discovered the ICE package has an USB input. Ripping CDs to MP3 on a USB stick works a treat.
Did some 30 of my favourite CDs (pretty old) - and all the album, artist, and track names appeared on the ICE screen.
Decided to add some more yesterday. All the info 'unknown'
Did all this on the same Win7 laptop using WMP (I think) Where did it find all the info displayed for the earlier CDs ? And why not for a new ones?
--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

did you rip using the same software? or forget to tick the "lookup on gracenote/cddb" option, or maybe you ran the old files through a separate "ID3 tagger", maybe Windows Media Player can do that "by accident"
Windows media player is a nightmare, even Itunes can manage to get titles. Brian
--
----- --

I think it must be the same software, as comes with Win7 pro. No Nero or whatever I can find on the machine.
--
*Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

Two things. First some cds have it in hidden text on other machines you need to interrogate an online database called cddb. If they are home made cds then unless you put the titles in and enabled cd text on writing and did them disc at once not track at once things can get lost.
I use CD Executive and it has CDDb and read from cd text as menu options. Winamp can do this as well but I find that more annoying since I'm blind. Weirdly, some cds that were on CDDB seem to have gone missing recently which means you have to add the data manually and upload it to cddb for others again. Brian
--
----- --

All commercial CDs. Most of the first catch I did likely favourites from the 80s. The ones I did yesterday, new.
--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Well all new ones have it encoded, but I notice that CDEX itself asks you on a menu if you want to import that data. Brian
--
----- --
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 15:47:48 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's all a bit of a dark art. My ICE (Citroen) seems to pull the displayed information from it's arse ... no matter what I use to create the tracks (on a USB stick). Whatever it is, it manages to display the least useful part of the metadata possible.
Jethro_uk wrote:

My Ford is much the same, very fussy about how the stick is created, then completely ignores my genre allocations and invents its own. Don't mention playlists. :-(
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

It's not just on the car, though. Looking at the USB stick on the laptop, and the files say untitled on the new ones.
--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

My cd player used to display track info and it didn't have an internet connection so it got the info from somewhere, I suspect it was the CD.

Some CDs have that data on them. Some rippers can get it off the net when the CD doesn’t have it on the CD.

Try ripping something that you have already tried and see if you get the correct track listing.
The lists often come from an internet data base which probably has to be configured in some settings and/or you have changed a menu option to look locally rather than on the remote data base.
There should be no difference between finding the track data etc. for something produced 20 years ago and for something recorded on CD in the last week.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Don't even need to rip it as the info appeared before doing so. After inserting the CD. But I will find one I've already ripped and has the info and see if it does the same again. I've not changed any settings.

--
*IF A PARSLEY FARMER IS SUED, CAN THEY GARNISH HIS WAGES?

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 15:47:48 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You need something like musicbrainz picard, which manages audio file tagging. However be prepared to download, learn how to use, swap tags for filenames (and vice versa) and then gasp in wonder as your ICE just makes shit up anyway.
After many hours of messing (excluding the trips to the car to test it ...) I reckon it would have been simpler and quicker to simply record myself reading the title and prepending it to the audio file to aid in selection :)

I've found Exact Audio Copy which claims to be able to look up the data and insert it fairly painlessly to the MP3 files. Although there is a one off payment for the database (after a trial period) But not got it to work yet.
Googling found that WMP used to be able to do the same thing - but not supported anymore on Win7.
Still no closer to finding out just why some of my old CDs seemed to provided this data. But not any new ones. (If I'd had to do something to download the data I'd have remembered how)
--
*Gravity is a myth, the earth sucks *

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 15:46:20 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

As with most things Linux, MBP seems to be free - or has a free database somewhere.

It will probably have come from one of the internet CDDB databases. One of them morphed into Gracenote (http://www.gracenote.com /. You may wish to use Freedb instead (http://www.freedb.org /). Check the settings in your ripping software. You usually need to supply an email address as well.
Some CDs have CD-text on, which means a freedb lookup isn't needed.
Occaisionally, you'll find a CD that isn't in the DB and you have to edit the text manually :-(