CD to MP3

It's not just on the car, though. Looking at the USB stick on the laptop, and the files say untitled on the new ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I prefer the U-Matic theory. They were the original PCM recorders. A standard video machine with an add on box.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Don't even need to rip it as the info appeared before doing so. After inserting the CD. But I will find one I've already ripped and has the info and see if it does the same again. I've not changed any settings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You need something like musicbrainz picard, which manages audio file tagging. However be prepared to download, learn how to use, swap tags for filenames (and vice versa) and then gasp in wonder as your ICE just makes shit up anyway.

After many hours of messing (excluding the trips to the car to test it ...) I reckon it would have been simpler and quicker to simply record myself reading the title and prepending it to the audio file to aid in selection :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I've found Exact Audio Copy which claims to be able to look up the data and insert it fairly painlessly to the MP3 files. Although there is a one off payment for the database (after a trial period) But not got it to work yet.

Googling found that WMP used to be able to do the same thing - but not supported anymore on Win7.

Still no closer to finding out just why some of my old CDs seemed to provided this data. But not any new ones. (If I'd had to do something to download the data I'd have remembered how)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It will probably have come from one of the internet CDDB databases. One of them morphed into Gracenote

You may wish to use Freedb instead
Check the settings in your ripping software. You usually need to supply an email address as well.

Some CDs have CD-text on, which means a freedb lookup isn't needed.

Occaisionally, you'll find a CD that isn't in the DB and you have to edit the text manually :-(

Reply to
Chris Bartram

As with most things Linux, MBP seems to be free - or has a free database somewhere.

Reply to
Jethro_uk