OT: Vinyl LPs to MP3 transfer

Agreed on the RIAA correction, but you dont need to buy a preamp, if you have a decent quality older stereo with PHONO inputs. That PHONO input /IS/ already setup for the RIAA. Just plug the turntable into the stereo, then connect a cord to the PREAMP OUT or TAPE OUT line on the srereo and run it to your computer sound card. You may need some adaptors to go from a RCA cable to the computer (Radio Shack has them).

I have never recorded a vinyl LP, but I know quite a lot about audio equipment. I have used Total Recorder software with Windows to record other stuff, such as a micophone, and recording the sound off video tracks. T R is decent and cheap software and runs on almost any version of Windows from Win98 and up. (Maybe some never versions wont work on older Windows)??? (I'm using an older version, which is simple).

This thread did bring up a question for me. Does NEW stereo equipment come with a PHONO input? (I bet not). I have not boughten stereo equipment in at least 25 years. I like the old stuff, and on my main stereo system, I have been using an actual power amp made for use on a stage, such as a sound system for a Rock band, and have speakers to match. More power than I'll ever need in a house, but reserve power means no distortion.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Ya reckon a JVC JLB31 direct drive tt will work ? I'll have to look when I get my stuff up here to see if I have a pre-out on my main tuner/amp ... this tt tracks at less than a gram . When I bought this unit in the late

70's it was state of the art , and my wife was PISSED because I spent over 300 bucks for it . AFAIK the only better tt's were the linear tracking units , and they were way ouf of my reach .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Did you use an input designated "phono" ? If so , RIAA correction is built in to the device you used .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

What is FLAC? Or is that a Linux thing? I've saved stuff to .WAV format to preserve the quality, but that eats up a lot of drive space.

These days the disk jockeys and even these "Internet Jukeboxes" play MP3, and the sound is good. I know MP3 can be saved at different resolutions. Does anyone know what they use for these commercial apps?

Personally, I still think a vinyl record has the BEST sound quality. Better than tape, or CD. But digitized music is just that, whereas vinyl is the actual RAW sound as it was played. Tape is also RAW, but casettes never could capture the full audio spectrum, whereas the old reel to reel had advantages due to faster speeds, which is why they used them to make original recordings in studios. I may be wrong, but I believe all modern studios record in digital format.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

FLAC is also known as "LOSSLESS" audio recording . .. About twice the storage space as MP3 and my old ears can't tell the differnce . It's for most OS'es . Runs in Windows , havwn't tried it in Ubuntu yet bnut I'm sure it's just MOTS .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Disk space is so cheap these days that WAV is not that bad. I use MP3 at 320kbs and they sound as good as the playback equipment and room acoustics can support. I think that if you record in WAV it will be as good as the vinyl. If you want to try MP3 or FLAC, rip it from your WAV and compare them all. (vinyl vs MP3, FLAC and the WAV) on the same equipment.

I think a lot of this "quality" stuff is just something people read and repeat. Test it yourself and see.

Reply to
gfretwell

Whatever you use, it has to work right. Older electronics can deteriorate. The cartridge and tracking is essential. I got bunches of stuff with belts, and they will go bad. The good, direct drive has no belts. Sometime you can get ground loops into the computer causing hum. Some of these USB interfaces may have isolation to prevent hum.

Point is, I got tons of equipment laying around. Some not used for years. I got to get out the stuff and listen with good speakers or headphone to make sure everything sounds right, before I would attempt transferring. The arm on the turntable can get sticky.

The best turntables are usually belt driven. if I were transferring, I would use a record clamp. I sold my old Thorens turntable many years ago for about $300. The SME arm was darn near $300 used. still got a dual, ar, and pioneer laying around, which I know would require work to get them going right.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Darn pretty setup, with SME and record clamp like this..

Greg

Reply to
gregz

My treatise on that subject is no longer available for download but the original version is available online at...

Note that it was written 12 years ago and some/much of the software mentioned may no longer be available. However, the general procedure remains unchanged.

Reply to
dadiOH

Not sure what you're indicating with RIAA correction. From what I've read, RIAA is basically a specification or standard from the RIAA. It isn't a device in place of a phono preamp, is it?

I also found a software based RIAA equalization

Is that something you're referring?

Reply to
Meanie

Good to know. Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

She have a sister?

Reply to
Meanie

Unfortunately, I need to convert to MP3. The main objective is to record my mother's old albums for her to enjoy on her MP3.

Reply to
Meanie

I stated to another I need them MP3 anyway for my mother. I don't think she'll really care about the format difference. She'll be elated just to be able to hear them on her iPod.

Reply to
Meanie

Software, I have nothing as of yet but will try both the Audacity and Total Recorder based on the recommendations here.

I have an older Technics direct drive turntable model SL-QD35. It's been so long I can't remember how old this thing is.

Reply to
Meanie

snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote: "Personally, I still think a vinyl record ha s the BEST sound quality. Better than tape, or CD. But digitized "

The difference you are hearing is likely the mastering(the final step of pr oduction, after the sessions and the mixing). CD/digital can tolerate much hotter & more dynamic range compressed levels than can LP. This in part h as spawned a resurgence in vinyl sales the last 5 years.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Per my reply to David, I have a Technics direct drive SL-QD35 tt and the original cartridge/stylus (I think) which is an Audio Technica DR400E. I'm sure I'd benefit from a new one so I'll consider your advice. Though, correct me.....the cartridge is one component and the stylus is another? I Google searched M44-7 and photos display a cartridge and stylus. Just want to make sure.

Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

Yes . Due to the dynamic range of the groove in the vinyl , some signals must be decreased . The RIAA equalization brings those signals back up .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Five , but you don't want any of them . I got the only good one .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Story of my life.

Reply to