OT: Vinyl LPs to MP3 transfer

No, it's switched and servo operated. Synchronous motors start very slow. Direct drives get up to speed within one revolution usually.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Those little preamps should work ok. Older units may have have coupling caps dry up. Parts tolerance for the RIAA curve can also be slightly off.

Styluses don't wear very fast, but old ones have rubber like parts that might wear out over time. This will affect deflection and damping.

Anti skate adjustment is a very good idea.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

It may or may not be beneficial to clean the records with soap & water. I always used a bit of dish detergent and a shaving brush.

Reply to
dadiOH

Probably older than you. "

Figures - bunch of Arpers drawn into the leading edge trends. I'm *only* 45 but tech-wise very conservative. Yes, I rip to digital, but I keep physical versions of evvvvverything! (digital downloads, my CDs, records, you name it.)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

And remember: There are very few "mp3 only players" in existence. 90% of all digital players will play mp3, wav, flac, aac(Apple), etc.

So if you have the space on your player(32GB or more), you can store higher quality than mp3 lossy of quite a few tracks.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

On 12/19/2014 10:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Have zero interest in carrying stuff around with me...

Reply to
dpb

Yet you want hundreds of vinyl records ... strange. By "carry around" I am talking about going on vacation or playing music in my car. I don't carry a MP3 player around ... or a phone but you can keep thousands of songs in your phone if you do.

The point is, once you embrace the idea of storing your music digitally, you will wonder why you clung to plastic so long. Just be sure you have backups of your backups. If you really need bits of plastic for your security, you can burn a thousand songs on a DVD and it will play on most car players these days.

Reply to
gfretwell

Meanie,

You're almost ready. Get Audacity. Once you've made your recording Use Audacity to deal with the clicks on the recording. It has functions to do that.under "Effects". Time to wash your records. Fill the kitchen sink with sudsy, cool dish water. Avoid getting the record labels wet and wash the records, gently. I like DadiO's suggestion of a shaving brush. I use an old dust removal brush for phono records. Once the records are washed fill the sink with clean, cool water and rinse. Use the brush again. Rinse again. Now arrange some way to let them air dry while standing on edge. I put newspaper near a wall and lean the records against the wall. Stay away from heating vents. Do not trust the dog or cat. Let them dry for a day. Play the record. Don't be surprised if a lot of crap builds up on the stylus. Clean the stylus with the stylus brush that I forgot to mention. $5-10 and you will need this. Once you've cleaned the glop out of the record's tracks let the record dry for another day. Ta Da, you are ready to record to the computer.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Per dpb:

When I was carrying a Palm Pilot, a cell phone, and an MP3 player I wasn't exactly in love with a pocket full of 3 devices.

But now all 3 functions have merged into a single device that I would be carrying anyway: cell phone.

I've heard people who sound like they know say that within 5 years somebody without an internet-connected cell phone will be among the disadvantaged - in terms of both social relationships and employment opportunities.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:

Hard-drives fail. Thumbdrives are succeptible to EMP(look it up!)

CDs & vinyl are immune to these influences.

But you're a futurist, so, I'm just talking to walls here.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Peter Cresswell:

Want a job? Get an address, a bus or car, print out a resume, and walk in the front door.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

The cell phone stays where I know where it is--on the buffet in the dining room unless I specifically want it with me--which is rarely except if leaving town. And, it's not 'net enabled (altho it would be nice on the rare occasion if it did have the camera but I'll wait until the batteries on this one finally fail before bothering to upgrade as it just isn't that important to me).

I spent nearly 40 yr on call/needing to be in constant availability and I'll be d---d if I'm going to continue that after having retired from the consulting gig. There's _nothing_ that important that I've got to know about it _now_...

Reply to
dpb

Yeah, I like 'em...have collection going back to original swing-era stuff of the folks on 78s as well as what have collected myself. I've digital recordings of the same albums in some cases and as noted above, I really do think the vinyl has a more pleasing sound when I'm actually listening.

Ever heard the DePaur Infantry Chorus?

If it's just background noise for trips, etc., then whatever is on is ok or likely I'll rather listen to a sporting event or even (gasp!) nothing. Watching the scenery and commenting thereupon is sufficient entertainment for me for most all the time if driving...after 16 hour days in fields seeing only from one end of a mile row to the other, it doesn't take much variation to be adequate. :)

See above; it's not security, it's lack of interest in the portability as being of any value to me and that I like the actual vinyl sound far better if/when I am listening...

But, that's me...

Reply to
dpb

That is why I said backup your backup. Maybe even send it to a cloud service. I have all of my music on every PC I own so it would take quite a disaster to lose them all and that would probably take out any plastic media I have too. I could toss a couple thumb drives in my safe deposit box if I was that worried but that is not likely with your records.

If you want to keep your vinyl as another backup, great but the more you handle them, the better chance you damage them.

You can play, copy or save digital data forever without it changing.

Reply to
gfretwell

Same here

Reply to
gfretwell

Now, if the farm were in active grain/livestock production rather than all in native grass with simply annual haying/grazing/maintenance, it would be a necessity for markets and labor and all that...but, that's why I've left it as is when came back after dad died as he had retired from active farming--no desire (nor need) to re-enter the ratrace even if on a different race circuit...

Reply to
dpb

And all you cloud-humpers who despise hard copies of anything: If those hackers could do what they did to Sony Pictures, imagine what they could do to your beloved "cloud". Just a sobering thought.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

In a nutshell...

  1. Hook turntable to preamp (a stereo is fine).

  1. Hook pre-amp line out to computer line in

  2. Play & record the vinyl.

At a minimum, you will spend one hour for each hour of music. If you want to do a good job, you will spend a minimum of 3-5 hours per hour of music.

  1. For recording, Audacity is fine. I like the interface of Audiograbber better.

  1. You may need to adjust the in volume so that the recording is not clipped

  2. Record to wave format. It is highly probable that your recording will have unpleasant noise from scratches etc. in the vinyl. To remove them - to clean up the recording - you need to work on wave files; recording in that format means they do not need to be decompressed for cleaning.

  1. Clean the recording. Any wave editor such as Goldwave or Audacity will serve. There are also specialized programs intended for that purpose. One of the best - but not easiest - is WaveRepair.

  2. It is easiest to record an entire vinyl side, clean it and then split into tracks. The easiest splitter I know of is CDWave.

  1. Encode the wave files to MP3. For your purpose, a bit rate of 128 or

160 would be entirely satisfactory. Those rates will give you around a 9-11X compression ratio and entirely listenable music. Use the LAME encoder; there are stand alone versions (cdEX, for example) or plugins such as the one offered at the Audiograbber site.

  1. You may want to tweak the MP3s so that they have similar volumes. Here are two programs that are handy for that, MPTrim and MP3Gain.

  2. If you want for your mother to be able to look at her player and tell who is playing what (if the player supports that function), you will need to write tags to the file. There are two versions of MP3 tags...ID3v1 and ID3v2. The latter allows for more fields and extensive info but are not recognized by all hardware. For your purpose, ID3v1 should be ample. Mp3Tag is a versatile tagger.

For more info, see my dandies...

BurfordTJustice

I am not really a cloud guy myself but if someone wants to steal all of my stolen music, go for it ;-)

As Lee Marvin said in the Wild One "I gleeped it from a guy what gleeped it"

Reply to
gfretwell

"I am not really a cloud guy myself but if someone wants to steal all of my stolen music, go for it ;-)

As Lee Marvin said in the Wild One "I gleeped it from a guy what gleeped it"

I'm not talking about some one stealing it. Yeah, I see your senility kicking in so I'll put it bluntly: your cloud is WIPED OUT, ERASED. NO music available because the cloud ITSELF no longer exists.

Now what'chyou gonna do??

Reply to
thekmanrocks