OT: Vinyl LPs to MP3 transfer

Page 4 of 7
On Thursday, December 18, 2014 5:10:30 PM UTC-5, SBH wrote:

_____________
Cannot seem to find the exact post, but someone here asked if modern receivers(less than 5 years old) still have PHONO inputs.
My answer: 1 out of 5 unfortunately, and usually the higher end models within a manufacturer's lineup. They'd better get with the program though, vinyl LP are making a comeback! :)
On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 07:10:58 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It is more of a cult following.
I know that down here in SW Florida I couldn't find anyone to buy about 400 LPs I had accumulated from other people who couldn't get rid of them. I ended up giving them to a guy who sells them for a buck or less at the flea market.
I think the days of playing any kind of music or movies from little bits of plastic are going fast. With disk storage going for less than $50 a TB and new media playing devices supporting WiFi, nobody is going to want to fool with records, CDs or DVDs unless they are stuck in the 60s.
On 12/19/2014 10:47 AM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Raises hand... :)
I just spent a significant bundle on a tech with younger, less shaky hands than mine to refurb including changing all the electrolytic cap's on the 60s era receiver/amp. Currently the turntable is also being refurb'ed as well...I have but almost never listen to the digital recordings and don't have a MP3 or like player and am unlikely to ever have such...
While hearing isn't what it once was, I agree that still the old vinyl sounds better to me; mostly because, I'm sure, it's what grew up with so the differences of later aren't what like.

11:47 snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 07:10:58 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

"It is more of a cult following.
I know that down here in SW Florida I couldn't find anyone to buy about 400 LPs I had accumulated from other people who couldn't get rid of them. I ended up giving them to a guy who sells them for a buck or less at the flea market.
I think the days of playing any kind of music or movies from little bits of plastic are going fast. With disk storage going for less than $50 a TB and new media playing devices supporting WiFi, nobody is going to want to fool with records, CDs or DVDs unless they are stuck in the 60s. "
You must be a young 'un. :) As long as I'm around there's nothing like a good hard physical copy of the thing in my hand.
I'd never trust any of my music to a "cloud" or "stream". Sure, I've got everything ripped, but I know it's ripped from a good source and that physical source can't be equalled.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

more of the same
--
Snag

Terry Coombs wrote: " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

more of the same
--
Snag
____

Now that wasn't so hard to type out was it? ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=recording+mp3+from+youtube&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
On 12/19/2014 2:26 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:

I've done searches in Google and found as you did but It doesn't hurt to ask in here for first hand experience which then allows followup questions if necessary. Can't do that watching a video.
On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 14:26:32 -0500, Seymore4Head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VppbjxhAdjI

On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 14:26:32 -0500, Seymore4Head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcpCD2O7-kc

Recording off Youtube was just another suggestion.
Pre recorded songs are pretty easy to find. Albums, not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrrEo3hZABU

One thing I'm completely sure of, I'll never play music from a turntable again.
Now I press a two key combination on my keyboard and music plays. Wireless speakers send the music out to the backyard and MP3 CDs put it in my car.
No more letting down the arm, listening to 5 or 6 tracks by the same artist, and flipping the record to hear the other side.
I used Audacity to remove the scratches and clicks and I'm done with vinyl.
--
Dan Espen

snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com writes:

FLAC works on Linux and Windows. When you record, you get wave. FLAC is loss less and takes less space than WAV. So, you can convert back and forth WAV<->FLAC and you don't loose anything.

Perhaps the artists don't want their IP given away so they prefer MP3 to be used.

If vinyl is better, I can't hear it. One thing I can hear on vinyl are scratches and skips.
I was pretty careful with our hundreds of albums, but a few tracks ended up unplayable.
--
Dan Espen

Magix Audio Cleaning Lab is documented poorly (Audacity not at all) but its menus are clear enough out of the box, and you can decipher the manual (150 pp.) if you have the patience. Cost $40-$60 I think.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

I have so many, I'd probably need to make many trips. I know some of them are badly scratched.
Maybe I'll stop in to one of these places and see. I hate waste.
--
Dan Espen

Seymore4Head wrote:

Actually , if you know where to look albums are very easy to find . Look up kickass torrents , pirate bay , or another torrent site . I've downloaded dozens of albums so I'd have a digital copy of stuff I already own on vinyl or tape . My preferred download client is utorrent , simple interface and easy to use .
--
Snag

For Audacity, a simple Google search is more than enough documentation. When I wanted to do the track splitting, I did a search. Worked for me.
I believe Audacity has documentation, but the online how tos are sometimes what you need.
--
Dan Espen

Meanie,
The shure cartridge will not fit your tone arm well.. Technics experimented with something called the P-mount so your cartridge must fit a P-mount. The stylus is the "needle" of your cartridge. It wears down through playing. A new stylus for your cartridge is $30 here: http://www.lptunes.com/Stylus-for-Audio-Technica-DR-400E-DR400E-cartridge-p/atsdr400e.htm Replacing this stylus is quite simple and should require no adjustments to your turntable. Since the game plan is to create mp-3s. Set your turntable up with a level and plug it into yout Pre-amp and then your stereo. See how it sounds on a few records that you are familiar with. Who knows? You may not need a new stylus.
Dave M.
On 12/19/2014 9:13 PM, David Martel wrote:

surprised that it's already level side to side, front to back. I thought for sure I would need to adjust something. I connected everything and have been playing some of my albums.....with a bit of nostalgic sniffles...lol. TT to preamp and preamp to the "line In" of the sound card. You could hear a few crackles here and there (expected) but overall, sounded good. May still consider a new stylus cause I know this is the original and perhaps it'll help with quality.
Thanks again for the help.

Those little preamps should work ok. Older units may have have coupling caps dry up. Parts tolerance for the RIAA curve can also be slightly off.
Styluses don't wear very fast, but old ones have rubber like parts that might wear out over time. This will affect deflection and damping.
Anti skate adjustment is a very good idea.
Greg