OT: Vinyl LPs to MP3 transfer

Anyone have experience with converting vinyl LPs to MP3 file?

Looking for advice on quality equipment, software and/or procedures.

Thank you

Reply to
Meanie

I recently converted a cassette tape to mp3. It worked beautifully with just a patch cord, using Audacity. (From headphone jacks to line input. If you don't have an out jack on the record player that's another story.) I'd tried it once before on a different computer without good luck, so I suspect the quality of the sound card might make a difference.

The cassette I converted was a lecture, though. I don't generally listen to music. So I'm not expert at discerning the quality of the transfer. It sounded clear to me, with no noise or hissing, but a music fan might say differently.

Reply to
Mayayana

I'm assuming you are using Windows.

I've used Total Recorder and it worked well for me. It's a very simple program ... it's not freeware but the price was low.

OTOH: That Audacity program is probably worth checking out since it's free

Reply to
philo

The easiest way is to find someone that has already done. Learn to use a Usenet search engine.

Reply to
Seymore4Head

| OTOH: That Audacity program is probably worth checking out since it's free

I was told about Audacity by a musician friend who also writes tech help files during the day. He says it's a fullscale, professional sound editor. Unfortunately, I have no expertise when it comes to audio technology, so I really can't assess it for myself. I don't understand much of the terminology.

Reply to
Mayayana

Already trying that. Thus far no response.

Reply to
Meanie

With LPs, it would require a preamp. USB turntable converters have preamp. Though I have an older turntable, I could buy just the preamp, software and be good to go. I'm just uncertain which way to go.

Reply to
Meanie

I saw a brief review of Audacity and it appeared to be pretty intense with many features. Many USB turntable converters use that or EZ Vinyl Converter.

Reply to
Meanie

Yes.

Was it for LPs?

Reply to
Meanie

SBH wrote: "- show quoted text - I saw a brief review of Audacity and it appeared to be pretty intense with many features. Many USB turntable converters use that or EZ Vinyl Converter. "

Audacity "pretty intense" - but peanuts compared to ProTools! LOL

Reply to
thekmanrocks

What you really mean is RIAA correction . RIAA standards were designed to overcome the inherent problems with recording on vinyl media . You must "decode" to get a decent digital copy of music from vinyl . I have yet to make the plunge , but need to - most of my favorite music is on vinyl , and digital remasters aren't available for some . The rest I probably already have ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The easy way is to use your turn table and amp with a "line" out, going into the Line In on the sound card in your PC and using recording software like "Total Recorder". If you bump that up to a high end program like Sound Forge you can massage the sound a bit and take out the pops and scratches. If you only have cartridge out from the turn table, it will usually be OK into the MIC in on your sound card.

Reply to
gfretwell

I've done lots. Probably around 800 Albums and a bunch of 45s. I have 7000 tracks total.

I used a vintage turn table and tuner/amplifier. Run a line from the tuner audio out to line in on the PC.

I'm on Linux, so I used Audacity. It's pretty simple to operate. If you look online you can find the procedure to take a whole album side, mark the track endings, then split the file into individual cuts. If I recall right, you insert labels at various points on the album side, then tell it to export the recording as multiple files.

I've saved everything as FLAC. MP3 reduces the quality.

Still can't bring myself to pitch the albums, but I probably will.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I have been using Total Recorder 3.0 since 2001 with never a problem, quick & easy. Also have been using Goldwave 5.2 since 2007 for sound editing - free evaluation verision is fully functional and includes everything that have needed.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

It can be used for any sound recording purposes but I do not know how it compares to Audacity. What I liked about Total Recorder is that the speed can be varied. It would be helpful if your turntable is slightly out of calibration.

I needed it mostly because I was trying to archive a recording made on a non-standard tape recorder and the speed of the recording was not the same as my standard-speed playback device. It worked perfectly

Reply to
philo

Meanie,

What do you have already? I used Audacity. It took a few hours of fiddling but it made good recordings on my computer which is about 10yrs. old and runs XP. I didn't use mp3 but I'm sure it will do that I used a good turntable which was set up well and my stereo gear since it has a phono pre-amp built-in. Sent the signal from the tape out to the computers audio in. My computer has RealTek software and hardware for audio. It's important to start with clean, good LPs. I washed mine with mild, cool dish water, rinsed a lot, and let them air dry while standing upright. I'm not an audio engineer but what you want to do should be easy so feel free to ask a bunch of questions.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

| Still can't bring myself to pitch the albums, but | I probably will.

These days they're like antiques. Some of them can fetch a good price.

Reply to
Mayayana

I saved this info for when I have time for doing this. This is not from me but just info I had collected.

If you want to do it right, I can suggest a decent setup.

Get a good Technics turntable. The SL-1200 series is a good unit and easy to find. You can usually get one at a pawn shop for around $150. It is almost impossible to destroy one. DJs beat them up and they just keep going. The RCA cables are prone to failure if the table has been used by a DJ. If you are good at soldering, they are not too bad to replace.

A good cartridge to start would be a Shure M44-7 for 45s and mono LPs. Get a N44E stylus, that would be good for the stereo LPs.

For a good preamp/USB interface, the ART V2 USB Phono Plus performs well. About $70 from amazon. Your computer will see the interface as an additional sound card.

Total Recorder from HighCriteria is a great program for recording.

If you want to do it wrong, then buy a USB turntable. You'll get what you pay for...

Reply to
AMoore

And after reading the literature I just downloaded Audacity . All my vinyl and my turntable will be in the SUV for the trip back from Memfrica after Christmas . I have a LOT of music I've wanted to listen to ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Don't EVER pitch the original vinyl !!! There is a "warmth" to vinyl that digital recordings will NEVER equal . One thing I wish for is the space to set up my component stereo system again . Probaly ain't gonna happen until I can no longer appreciate the sound , but a guy can hope ... damn , I'm gonna need some speakers , I gave my best set to the oldest son years ago for his stereo system . Not to worry , I have a wife that loves me and wants me to be happy .

Reply to
Terry Coombs