OT, Tom Clancy, RIP

I just heard on the news that Tom Clancy has passed away in then hospital. I enjoyed his work and movies based on his books. o_O
TDD
On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 8:06:36 AM UTC-7, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Sad news indeed. I have read his original novels twice and am now reading them for the third time. Those he wrote with a co-author - I don't read.
Harry K
On 10/2/2013 11:23 AM, Harry K wrote:

Mark Greaney was co-author on one written in 2012. He's got Jack Ryan, his son, and other characters from previous books. Very good reads even if topic and background change very little. My son had been buying these books for me on Christmas. I suspect there are more in the pipe-line.
On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 12:33:01 -0400, Frank

The Jack Ryan character was killed off in a divorce. She owned half of the books so he didn't write any more.

There is another one that is due to be released Dec 3, 2013.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

I am also in the process of re-reading them as well.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

That publishing fad is something that pisses me off. Clive Cussler is another favorite author that fell for that crap. Use the famous author's name in monster font and then put the ghost author name in small font.
On 10/4/2013 7:42 AM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

They all do it. These after death books are OK unless they push it too far, just relying on the characters the original author had built up.
One I liked, can't think of name offhand as it was years ago, in his dotage retired to Florida and books just became silly. Some people should quit while ahead.
'The Daring Dufas[_8_ Wrote:

I expect most people would know that Tom Clancy was a writer, but not all.
He wrote a lot of spy vs. spy type novels that were made into movies like The Hunt for Red October and books like that.
I'm sure a lot of people will mourn the loss of a truly gifted writer like Tom was.
--
nestork