OT The metric conversion of the US would happen if they taught it in school.

Page 2 of 5
On Jan 1, 10:52am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

The point is that I bet most people think they are buying a pound of bread.
I doubt if most people even have a guess at how much the package contains when they buy something - they just grab a box or bottle "that size".
Our system cannot be defended on any basis other than "it has always been that way".
Harry K

You hang around with really stupid people.

Are you married? Have you ever gone shopping with her?

Wrong! It costs real money to change. ...not worth it at this point.
On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 00:40:43 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

It would probably take a century or two for a full change. While soda comes in one and two liter bottles, it is also in 12 ounce cans. I cannot imagine the cost of retrofitting or replacing vending machines to take the 500 ml cans.
Some things are easy, but still costly, like road signs, maybe the newer gas pumps. Fasteners can be phased win with new models as they come out. In the interest of a world economy, many already have changed.
My Buick had a switch that changed the speedo and gauges to metric.

Right, and *very* costly. It's too easy to convert now. There's no point.

Metric and Imperial fasteners can be made on the same tools. Cheap.

My Vision TSi had a metric speedo (km in big numbers). No big deal, there were still the little numbers for the conversion impaired. Funny thing, when driving in Canuckistan I was constantly doing a double-conversion. ;-)

I understand how cups were invented but there is a better way. Back in the day, after milking the cows, you would have a bucket of milk. That was ok. Call it a gallon. Now we need a way to divide it up, so you take half and I will take half.
Take that and split it in half. Then split that in half. Then split that in half. Eventually you get a 15/16 wrench.
There is a better way. Divide things by 10 instead and fractions go away. Now isn't that better? Yes much. It is so much easier, in fact, that kids would jump at the idea at having a choice. Just give them a few math problems and see.
Who still loves fractions? Kids.......you want to make fractions go away forever? Yeah!
The way to make it go away is to just let the kids stop talking about "cups" at all. Old folks just keep using "cups" as long as you have recipes that are given in "cups" and slowly replace them with kids that understand liters naturally.
The time you save by eliminating fractions can be used for a few "ballpark" conversions that the "old folk" use.

You mean all those half gallon and quart things of milk in the grocery don't exist? (cue the Twilight Zone theme)

All done with the appropriate measuring utensils. Easy peazy (to quote Charlie Sheen among others>)

Again done my different set of measuring utensils. You don't eyeball a quart of milk any more than you eyeball an mL of milk or whatever. So you just decide what you want and get out the right measuring utensils. I have yet to find a lot of reasons to so the conversions and I have been a nurse for years. And when if it was needed, the pharmacy and/or the dispensing computer did what was needed to make the conversion.

So because it is _possible_ to make the conversions the current system is better than not changing it to do away with conversions? Your logic sucks to be concise.
Harry K

You have a ruler graduated in 7ths?

That is pretty important. I get one. You get one. Obama gets one.

Decimals are more precise, just depends on how minute yu want the measure, 10ths? 100ths? 1,000ths? and continue on down into the billionths if you want. And it can be done without a pencil and paper. Try that with fractions.
Harry K

Why would I bother with 1/7th when all machine tools are calibrated in decimal? If you didn't notice (and you probably didn't) I am a _proponent_ of doing away with the Imperial measures.
Your example is idiocy.
Harry K

.1 (to the same significance).

Which sorta reinforces my argument that those in the US who need to use metrics can and in those areas where it isn't needed (mile markers for instance) we can stay the same. Measurements are, in the final analysis, just numbers and numbers are just ways of rather arbitrarily if think about, to assign a value.

Indeed! We agree again! Coming from a metric country to the US at age 25, and active in science, I have never forgotten metric, and I got fairly easily used to US measurements with all their (silly) subdivisions. Here is how to look at it:
A quart is a little less than a liter. An inch is about 2.54 cm A pound is 453 grams A mile is about 1.6 km.
For the rest it is a question of powers of 10 for metric measurements. Duh.
But I have never been able to nicely guess how far away another km or mile was.
Oh yea, a brisk, but not too brisk walking pace is 5 km/hr or 3 miles/hr (with proper inaccuracies built in).
--
Best regards
Han

foot) when was the last time you needed a measurement that you did it yourself? When I need a wrench, I get one I think is correct and then go up or down depending on the original one fit. I either take the measurement on the side of the milk carton at face value or the measurement of the measuring cup I am using to double check. I can't tell (again with the possible exception of an inch using my finger knuckle or a foot using my well foot). Other than that who really cares?

In a few years cars and phones will be smart enough not to need (as many) signs.

My personal experience suggests that signs will still be around, if only to keep someone's ne'er do well brother in law off of some politican's couch (grin).
Kurt Ullman wrote the following:

The first time I saw Km speed limits and distance signs on a US highway was on the new Rt.1 in Delaware back in the 1990s. There were no MPH or distance signs in Miles. I made regular trips from here to southern DE (next to the MD border near Ocean City) when my Mother lived there. When she died, I never went down there again. Does anyone know if that still is the case?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

How the hell would you know?

Learning Latin has many uses One of them is "stretching" intellectual capacity and ability Some people would use the same argument about Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division. After all who needs it since we can use calculators to do those