0T: metric conversion

I dont like metric but are my calculations right?
Inches 71 3/8 = 1,823.4mm 65 7/8 = 1,673mm
Must get a tape with mm on,bloody french.
Thanks.

71.375 inches = 1812.925mm
65.875 inches = 167.225mm
Source - Microsoft Calculator Plus

65.875 inches = 1673.225 mm
Source: not missing a digit when typing the number I just calculated... :-)
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Take a look at this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID2b0d059-b53a-4dc9-8265-da47f157c091&displaylang=en
A useful tool for your PC

Nearly.
71 3/8" = 1812.925mm; 65 7/8" = 1673.225mm
--
Ron

1" is exactly 25.4mm.
ergo 71.375" = 1812.925mm. 65.875" = 1673.225mm.
1823.4 mm is about 71.787".
--
Roger Chapman

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 17:35:37 +0100, Roger wrote:

It is now but wasn't always...
I find that http://www.onlineconversion.com is a very useful place, though not for such a simple conversion.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Has been for quite a while though.
"The (international) inch has been exactly 25.4 mm since July 1959. At this point in time the (international) yard was redefined as 0.9144 metre - until this time the ratio between the US yard and the metre was different to the ratio between the UK yard and the metre. For more information, see Engineering Metrology by K J Hume (2 ed) Macdonald London 1967. The American inch changed by 2 millionths of an inch and the UK inch by 1.7 millionths of an inch. The international inch falls mid way between the old UK and US inch."
--
Roger Chapman

Gawd! who's right here? I think John is? as it almost spot on with my calcs.

calcs.
Sorry,my calcs are wrong just borrowed a tape from next door, it is 813,925mm ;-)

Balls....1,813.925
Time for a rest.

This is the trouble.
They are all wrong.
George wrote:

No other software needed, don't even need to change from fractions to decimals - just type "65 7/8 inches in mm" or "65.875 inches in mm" into a Google search box. You get back:
(65 7/8) inches = 1 673.225 millimeters
65.87500 inches = 1 673.225 millimeters
Or type "71.375 inches in mm" or "71 3/8 inches in mm" and get:      71.37500 inches = 1 812.925 millimeters
(71 3/8) inches = 1 812.925 millimeters
--
Rod

George wrote:

Type into Google 71 3/8 inch to mm Answer: (71 3/8) inch = 1 812.925 millimeters Google can do lots of calculations/conversions
--
Corporal Jones
"I don't like it up me"

Just throw away all of your ancient imperial measuring items and switch entirely to the use of millimetres. This avoids these silly fractions and conversions which will almost certainly lead to errors.
You can buy metric only tapes quite easily now or even dual ones if you want to continue to be confused

You jest, of course? Some use centimetres and some mm without stating which. Metres you can usually guess if they're being used without saying. You didn't get that problem with feet and inches.
--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

On 2008-06-07 19:55:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

It's fairly obvious for most purposes whether a dimension is in cm or mm, based on context

True, just having to deal with fractions involving 3,4,12, 16 and so on.

Anyone using cm for dimensions seems to have rather lost the plot as far as SI units are concerned.
--
Roger Chapman

Roger wrote:

But gets lees confused.
George - buy a metric tape - Axminsters own label are to die for....
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
The Medway Handyman wrote:

See, I'm less confused now. Never confused....