0T: metric conversion

I dont like metric but are my calculations right?

Inches 71 3/8 = 1,823.4mm 65 7/8 = 1,673mm

Must get a tape with mm on,bloody french.

Thanks.

Reply to
George

71.375 inches = 1812.925mm

65.875 inches = 167.225mm

Source - Microsoft Calculator Plus

Reply to
John

Take a look at this:

useful tool for your PC

Reply to
John

Nearly.

71 3/8" = 1812.925mm; 65 7/8" = 1673.225mm
Reply to
Ron Lowe

In message , John writes

65.875 inches = 1673.225 mm

Source: not missing a digit when typing the number I just calculated... :-)

Reply to
Peter Twydell

The message from "George" contains these words:

1" is exactly 25.4mm.

ergo 71.375" = 1812.925mm. 65.875" = 1673.225mm.

1823.4 mm is about 71.787".
Reply to
Roger

Gawd! who's right here? I think John is? as it almost spot on with my calcs.

Reply to
George

Sorry,my calcs are wrong just borrowed a tape from next door, it is

813,925mm ;-)
Reply to
George

Balls....1,813.925

Time for a rest.

Reply to
George

No other software needed, don't even need to change from fractions to decimals - just type "65 7/8 inches in mm" or "65.875 inches in mm" into a Google search box. You get back:

(65 7/8) inches = 1 673.225 millimeters

65.87500 inches = 1 673.225 millimeters

Or type "71.375 inches in mm" or "71 3/8 inches in mm" and get:

71.37500 inches = 1 812.925 millimeters

(71 3/8) inches = 1 812.925 millimeters

Reply to
Rod

Type into Google

71 3/8 inch to mm Answer: (71 3/8) inch = 1 812.925 millimeters Google can do lots of calculations/conversions
Reply to
Corporal Jones

Just throw away all of your ancient imperial measuring items and switch entirely to the use of millimetres. This avoids these silly fractions and conversions which will almost certainly lead to errors.

You can buy metric only tapes quite easily now or even dual ones if you want to continue to be confused

Reply to
Andy Hall

This is the trouble.

They are all wrong.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It is now but wasn't always...

I find that

is a very useful place, though not for such a simple conversion.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You jest, of course? Some use centimetres and some mm without stating which. Metres you can usually guess if they're being used without saying. You didn't get that problem with feet and inches.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's fairly obvious for most purposes whether a dimension is in cm or mm, based on context

True, just having to deal with fractions involving 3,4,12, 16 and so on.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

Anyone using cm for dimensions seems to have rather lost the plot as far as SI units are concerned.

Reply to
Roger

The message from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

Has been for quite a while though.

"The (international) inch has been exactly 25.4 mm since July 1959. At this point in time the (international) yard was redefined as 0.9144 metre - until this time the ratio between the US yard and the metre was different to the ratio between the UK yard and the metre. For more information, see Engineering Metrology by K J Hume (2 ed) Macdonald London 1967. The American inch changed by 2 millionths of an inch and the UK inch by 1.7 millionths of an inch. The international inch falls mid way between the old UK and US inch."

Reply to
Roger

But gets lees confused.

George - buy a metric tape - Axminsters own label are to die for....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or don't know the difference in the first place. Personally I use what ever produces "nice" numbers, 18" is easier to remember and measure than

457mm.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice