0T: metric conversion

Agreed. When ever I come across cm's, I have to convert to mm's before I can convert to feet and inches.

I was brought up with feet and inches and had to get up to speed with metric back in the late seventies.

When I had to get up to speed on metric, it was in the aerospace industry and everything was measured in mm. All X, Y and Z measurements were all in mm.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yes, but speaking as a radio ham, I don't use that as a measure of how long it is. I might as well just call it 433.5 Mega Hertz and just be as ignorant of the length.

I'm surprised that they have moved on from the Greek and Latin these days.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Wouldn't make any difference s/150mm/6\"/g and s/12\.5mm/1\/2\"/g

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They are the standards set down under SI which defines the weights and measures that we use

because they are the definitive accepted units

for the same reason you shouldn't measure in 4/5ths of a cubit

Reply to
geoff

In message , Frank Erskine writes

The world has moved on

Reply to
geoff

In message , John Weston writes

Last time I looked, they were in metre lengths by mm x-section

Reply to
geoff

Does Boeing agree with you - as well and Pratt & Whitney and GE?

Reply to
John

Nothing wrong with 500ml cans ... they nicely fill a 500ml beer mug.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 19:55:45 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, "Dave Plowman (News)" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

You've obviously never seen 'Spinal Tap'.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 23:15:01 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, Frank Erskine randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Eastern European builders seem to prefer centimetres to millimetres IME.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

And pretty well all electronics are still imperial.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tolerance, I presume. ;-)

Reply to