OT Surgery prices.

but this must make the old krow happy. it's the free market at it's best

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

My doctor friend who helps me wanted me to keep track of urine volume. Another physician who I think is a quack because of his assumptions told me I had kidney disease so I keep a close eye on kidney function. Most folks have no clue as to the volume of liquid that goes through them in a normal day. I sweat like a thunderstorm in hot weather and you can always tell where I've been standing while I work on something at a job site because of the puddle on the floor. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

HMO, Health Maintenance Organization. Perhaps the reason is in the name? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:jnb18s$4ca$1 @dont-email.me:

Good luck! Stay healthy, or as healthy as you can!

Reply to
Han

WIll be eventually. That is hardly a reason to demonize something and run it off the market.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

How do you think think it should be labeled: "Fresh Ground Beef" or simply "Ground Beef"?

Reply to
gonjah

I haven't been able to find anything in the first 10 websites of a Yahoo search that indicates it is cooked even once. If that is so, it as fresh as any other ground beef. Since the hooha, many of the processors asked the FDA to be able to label the beef in a specific manner. That is fine, too.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

It seems pretty innocuous to me but needs to be labeled correctly in grocery stores at least IMO.

Reply to
gonjah

Since this is all beef and nothing but beef and the ammonia is only a treatment with virtually no residual and even then the ammonia has been studied by teh FDA and given the normal designation, I really don't see any need. This is not a filler like cornmeal or a preservative or other additive. It just a little more beef. (Also Conagra and many others use citric acid as the bug killer.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I thought they were adding it to store grd beef. That blows the concept of "fresh" IMO. YMMV.

Reply to
gonjah

Thanks, I've been pushing pretty hard and it makes every square inch of me hurt. I'm one of the invisible work force of the disabled who receive no help from government. I work with a half dozen and know many more. We can't hold a normal job because we never know when we are able to work so we work as hard as we can when we can. The P.L.L.C.F. would be stunned if they knew how many of us exist and refuse to go on the dole even though we're told of the riches we are "entitled" to but refuse to even ask for. If you handed me a welfare check, I'd spit in it, wad it up and throw it back in your face. Me and my friends will work for what we get and refuse to be wards of The State. We take care of ourselves as best we can and at the end of the day, we have a sense of accomplishment and pride because we can survive without anyone propping us up. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

gonjah wrote in news:xfqdnSQEL99jxwTSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.toastnet:

By recall from the TV discussions: Seems to me that they did heat it at some point right after it came of the carcass, to melt away the fat. Then it was treated with ammonia (vapor I believe, so that wouldn't really leave any residue). Then the final product was packed (not sure whether it was frozen).

It is derived from bovines, so it could be called beef. But like the cheese, it should be called processed. Then I have no problem with it. Sort of truth in advertising, not fibbing. And, yes I'd eat it, or have eaten it, or whatever.

One more thing I'd like to know. How sure are we that no nervous tissue is getting in this treated beef? I wouldn't like to catch Jacob- Creutzfeld disease, aka mad cow.

Reply to
Han

I've been sticking to truly fresh ground for quite sometime now. I love

80/20 ground for cheeseburgers. It's become almost an obsession.
Reply to
gonjah

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:jnblvd$k4e$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I didn't go and take unemployment when I was without a job for 3 months, but we did take WIC when we qualified. And now we are taking Social Security which we paid into for something like 40 years.

Reply to
Han

I see so many people who have been pulled into the disability industry by lawyers who often get 40% or more of the first big check from Social Security with the remainder of the money going to booze, illegal drugs and partying. The majority of the people I see getting disability checks are able-bodied enough to hold down a regular job without a problem and many of them classified as mentally disabled. The first of every month the dope dealers come calling after the check cashing store gets their cut and when the government check money is exhausted, the recipient sells their food stamps/EBT funds for 50cents on the dollar so they can buy more cigarettes, booze and dope. Amazing what FREE money does to folks isn't it? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

it's the free market at work. gotta love how that happens. In any event, this is the best thing that ever happened to the cattle producers

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Pink slime From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Page semi-protected Pink slime Inventor Eldon Roth[1] Launch year 2001 (human use) earlier for pet food Company Beef Products Inc. (BPI), others Availability Available Current supplier Beef Products Inc., others Look up pink slime, lean finely textured beef, LFTB, soylent pink, or beef in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

Pink slime, also known as lean finely textured beef (LFTB) [2] and boneless lean beef trimmings (BLBT)[3], is a beef-based food additive that may be added to ground beef and beef-based processed meats as an inexpensive filler.[4][5] It consists of finely ground beef scraps, sinew, fat, and connective tissue which have been mechanically removed in a heated centrifuge at 100°F (38°C)[6] from the fat into liquid fat and a protein paste.[7][8] The recovered material is then processed, heated, and treated with ammonia gas[1] or citric acid to kill E. coli, salmonella, and other bacteria. It is finely ground, compressed into blocks and flash frozen for use as an additive to beef products.[9][10] The term pink slime was coined in 2002 by Gerald Zirnstein, who at that time was a microbiologist for the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service,[7] but some state officials have objected to the nickname, saying that "lean, finely textured beef is the proper name."[11]

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

processed ground beef or mechanically enhanced ground beef or chemically enhanced ground beef

or

ground beef with material previously used as dog food (which in no way is meant to demean dog food)

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

then you have to ask yourself why there is no such thing on the current consumer marketplace consisting totally of pink slime, or even just a large majority. It would be good for us and much cheaper

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

That reminds of hamburger helper.

Vic Smith