OT Gas Prices are falling

Gas prices in my area (MS) have been $2.89 for the past two weeks, slow to go below that after steadily falling a nickel or a dime every week or less over the past couple of months.

I see that Houston is at $2.75. I use that area as a benchmark since they have several refineries there. Los Angeles is reporting $4.49.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Wait until after the elections when our reserves run dry.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

What reserves are you speaking about now?

"the United States is at the top of the list with 264 billion barrels of recoverable oil reserves, followed by Russia with 256 billion, Saudi Arabia with 212 billion, Canada with 167 billion, Iran with 143 billion, and Brazil with 120 billion.

You really should move out of that alternate world your head lives in.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The reserves are not for the people.

Reply to
Thomas

I live close to Houston.

The gas prices are lower than most other areas.

But those refineries dirty up our air.

Andy

Reply to
AK

Right, that's why I use Houston and Los Angeles as my low/high points.

I've driven thru the area on I-10 a few dozen times over the years and there is frequently a specific smell there, especially on the east side of the metro area.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

They deny that Biden has been dipping into our strategic oil reserves to drive down the price of gas even though Biden said he was doing exactly that.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The low near me in NJ is $3.33.

Reply to
trader_4

invalid unparseable

The US uses ~20 mil barrels a day, so while 1 mil will help, it's not a big factor. Plus it's been going on since April, so rather odd that it's responsible for the decline just now, over the last month. Actually this is a smart move, they should have sold more. They will be replacing it at lower prices, a plus for the taxpayer.

Reply to
trader_4

Frank, did you try to summarize something you read somewhere, or was what you read the summary, the contrast ("even though") you have above?

And who is the "They" you start the sentence off with?

Because either you or whoever tried to create a contrast just didn't udnerstand the first half of your summary. Below Trader's words should help you understand the error.

Reply to
micky

No sense trying to teach you two economics.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

So explain to us the economic principles that you claim I missed or got wrong.

Reply to
trader_4

When he can't refute a fact, Frank changes the subject (here, from oil consumption/scarcity/reserves to the more general economics, which is something he hasn't shown any actual knowledge of so far).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Spitting in the wind. It is their religion and their path to righteousness.

Fill my Subi yesterday (Nevada):

The good stuff (E-zero): $5.249 /gal Garbage (E-15): $4.849 / gal

A little better I guess. 06/24/2022's fill up of the good stuff was $5.99 /gal.

Looks like you're buying premium. I assume your vehicle requires it, otherwise you're just throwing money away for absolutely no benefit.

Gas is currently $2.86 in my area. That's 87 octane, of course. I don't own any vehicles that require mid or premium.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I expect that anything but some high end exotic will run fine on regular. Vehicles have knock sensors and back off the timing if any premature detonation is detected. BMW here is supposed to use mid-grade, I've been putting regular in for years and 150K miles and it's running perfectly. The downside might be that if you tried to measure acceleration performance it could come in a tick slower.

Reply to
trader_4

I own Subaru's but not these: Performance Subaru models like WRX, Levorg and BRZ require a high octane fuel to run efficiently.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

"A report from Subaru's Drive magazine says, "Every Subaru vehicle built in the past 30 years has relied on an increasingly sophisticated engine management system that constantly monitors the state of combustion inside the cylinders. Knock sensors relay information to the engine management system, and that powerful computer can automatically adjust the ignition timing to make the best use of the fuel in the tank."

In the report, John Gray, Field Quality Assurance Manager with Subaru of America's Service and Quality Department, says performance vehicles like the WRX, WRX STI, and BRZ are designed to run correctly even when the optimal grade of fuel isn't available.

The Owner's Manual states for WRX and BRZ models: "The engine is designed to operate using unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher." However, fuel with an octane rating of 87 or higher can be used in either model with no detriment to engine durability.

You may notice some small drop in performance using a lower octane fuel, but the vehicle will automatically adjust engine timing, avoiding a preignition condition."

Which is exactly what I said. It's not an issue of running efficiently. It"s an issue of possible premature ignition and modern engines detect if that happens and then retards the timing slightly. It could result in an increase in acceleration numbers, but even Subaru apparently acknowledges that the vehicle runs OK.

Reply to
trader_4

I doubt he has that problem and also doubt cost of gas in Nebraska unless maybe some isolated region.

Reply to
invalid unparseable