OT: Shop Walmart (or HF) - Save the Planet

Page 5 of 6  


Spot on!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I am absolutely going to build them here in the good old US of A. I am going to pay those $29 hour wages and eliminate automation so I can employ more people, price my goods to only break even because I am totally convinced that the AMERICAN PUBLIC will pay 4 to 10 times as much because they are made in the USA. OH YES, least I forget...please tax me at nothing less than the 50% level because I am a rich business owner who has invested his money in job production instead of just consumption.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Nothing like overstating your case to make a point, eh?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Overstatement...you bet but it isn't too far from what some people seem to think.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The other thing the Walmart bashers and those that complain about jobs lost to cheaper foreign products forget is that there is another side to the equation. And that is that consumers spend a huge amount less for those products because they are being imported from low cost suppliers. If Walmart paid $5 an hour more, but their workers had to pay $50 for a shirt or $25 for a hammer, would they really be better off?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sep 16, 3:29pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The original assumption regarding the Walmart products were that they were both low priced and of lower quality. The old saying of you get what you payed for was thought to apply and in many cases that was true. You want quality you don't go to Walmart and you pay more for it. That is no longer the case just as it is no longer the case that "Made in Japan" equates to cheap low quality products. This is also becoming true of many of the "cheap" products that are made in China. So no, just paying more for something at a high price store or because it was "Made in USA" doesn't mean thay anyone is going to be better off. This is really what is causing all the pain. We can't automatically say that just because its made in China, India, Japan or Mexico that it doesn't stand the quality test. We, the American worker is either going to have to match the costs based on productivity or we must produce a better product worth the extra price.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
hibb wrote:

Yes. Taking the proposition to the logical extreme is part of what one of my customers called "Quality Control Thinking."
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On the radio today, Nancy Pelosi was saying how they won't continue the tax cuts for the rich. After all, repealing the tax cuts wouldn't create any jobs. And the tax cuts were contributing to the deficits.
I managed not to yell at the radio. What a socialist, doesn't think that taxing the rich reduces employment. And she blames the rich for the deficit, instead of blaming "her" congress for writing too much spending bills. If she and her type stay in office, this country is doomed.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sight correction. I saw her make that statement on TV and what she actually said was "the OBAMA tax cuts."
I swear, some politicians would lie when the truth sounded better.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The process goes like this:
Any time a discussion starts to cut taxes, the Dems always refuse to cut them for the "rich". And when the discussion is about raising taxes, the Dems always want to raise them more on the rich. Repeat that cycle many times and it's obvious where it gets you?
It's like what Nixon said about negotiating with the Russians. He said their approach was what's mine is mine, what's yours is up for negotiation. As soon as the negotiations conclude, they want to do it again.
Back to the tax issue, if there was any common sense and decency in DC here is what they would do. They would agree to an overall income tax rate structure. That structure would then remain untouched for a very long time. Any time it was necessary to raise taxes or cut them, it would be done by adjusting all the rates, for everyone, uniformly. If you raise the 10% bracket to 11%, you raise the 30% bracket to 33%. And when you cut them, you do the exact same thing. That would eliminate 90% of the bickering over fooling with the progressiveness of the tax code that comes up all the time.
But the Dems would never agree to it because they want to use the issue of class warfare each time to try to re-distribute the wealth.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sep 17, 9:44am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

What? Are you saying that the rich should pay a higher percentage of taxes than those with lower incomes? What are you? Some kind of progressive or something?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Good idea, but here's an even better plan.
You've heard of the "Flat Tax." My proposal is called the "Flatter Tax." Here's how it works:
In round numbers, we have a $3 trillion budget and we have 300 million people. That's $10,000 per capita.
How many in your family? Multiply that be $10,000 and send it in! See how simple that is?
But wait, you say, there are flaws in your plan. What about the person who doesn't HAVE $10,000? What to do?
That's easy. They could donate a unit of blood platelets each month for a $1000 credit toward their taxes. (I call that the Federal Withdrawing Plan.) They could even do it for 12 months and build up a little surplus!
But wait! you say, what about the 18-year old mother of four? She would be responsible for FIFTY THOUSAND dollars per year. She can't contribute that much in platelets and taking blood from toddlers is, well, unthinkable.
She could contribute a kidney. Assuming a kidney replaces a dialysis machine, she could conceivably get credit for $250,000 and have her and her brood's taxes paid for five years. Ah, but what happens after five years?
The government wouldn't demand her OTHER kidney!
Of course not. That would be silly. Perhaps a cornea. That would make her good for another five years.
All this, and the blood platelet scheme, could provide tax payments for her and her litter for twelve, fourteen years. By then, her whelps would be paying taxes on their own.
--
Now as far as the "progressive" income tax, I think it's backwards. In my
view, the poor should pay a GREATER percentage of their income than the rich
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Gaffe: "when a politician accidentally tells the truth"
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
BobR wrote:

Silly person! The top tax rate is 39.6%.
But not to worry; with that business plan, you'll be in the zero-tax bracket.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Maybe he means TOTAL income tax. And in some places, that does bring it to 50%. And aside from income tax, we all pay sales taxes, property taxes, etc that can easily bring it to over 50%.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 09/17/10 10:29 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I had a Swedish roommate in grad. school for a while. He told me, "Yes, there are circumstances in which we can pay 50% tax. but that's OK because we get good value for money."
An American was picking on the Brits for their tax rates. I told him, "Yes, but we get things like health care, but you get bombs."
How does it help to have low taxes if you then have to pay vast amounts for health insurance and have to fix your car more often because of crappy roads (more in some states than in others)?
Perce
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Just because you have high taxes doesn;t mean you don't pay vast amounts for health insurance, just that it is hidden better.
--
I want to find a voracious, small-minded predator
and name it after the IRS.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Have you ever sat down and figured out what your true effective tax rate is? Have you added in all those local, city, county, state, federal and hidden taxes? Guess what? We are already paying the same high taxes as are being paid by the countries you mentioned and we aren't getting squat for our money.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
hibb wrote:

SIgh.
Adam Smith settled this hash in the 18th Century with his book: "The Wealth of Nations." In it, he said that when nations do what they do best and trade the result, everybody comes out ahead. Conversely, protectionism in all its forms (embargos, tariffs, boycotts, etc.) do unimaginable harm.
Some just haven't kept up with the reading.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Sounds like an idealistic view that doesn't work in the real world where what some countries do best is provide labor so cheap that it is virtually slave labor.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.