OT - Ripoffs for women

Page 1 of 2
I was just watching the CBC's (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's) "Market Place" TV show this evening, and I thought I should report on what they said. They were both investigating this weight loss plan offered by the now bankrupt company "Herbal Magic".
The Herbal Magic program involves a $400 fee just to join the program. You get absolutely nothing for your $400 except a membership.
Then you have to buy the Herbal Magic meals and the Herbal Magic supplements. The Market Place team brought the meals to a nutritionist, and he figured out that the meals contain about half the recommended daily caloric intake for a 120 pound woman. So, even a slim 120 pound woman would effectively be starving to death if all she ate were the meals allowed by the Herbal Magic plan.
The supplements are really nothing more than Flintstones vitamin pills. They're vitamins with some sugar added to them, and the same vitamins that would cost you about $100 per year add up to over $5000 per year because they have the Herbal Magic logo printed on them.
So, the bottom line is that they sell you a diet that severely restricts your caloric intake, and when people are unable to remain on this diet, Herbal Magic claims that they screwed themselves because they cheated on the diet plan they were supposed to maintain.
Apparantly Herbal Magic is under new management as the company has been sold.
The Market Place team also investigated women's face creams, most of which claimed to slow or even stop the natural aging process of skin. They interviewed a fellow who had worked for a cosmetics company for decades, and he said that all the face creams were pretty much the same, but in order to charge the $400 prices that some of them do for a small tub of face cream, they had to have a gimmick. One of the more notable ones apparantly has the extract from some sort of melon that's grown in France in it. When the Market Place team requested the scientific research the company relied on to make it's claim that the cream stopped the aging process, it was sent a lab study showing how those melons don't rot as quickly as other melons, but which said absolutely nothing about the effect this melon would have on human skin. A second expensive face cream marketed to women had PLANT stem cells in it; not human stem cells, plant stem cells. Plant stem cells can turn into any kind of cell in a mature plant, but they cannot turn into a human skin cell. When the Market Place team asked that company for the scientific literature to back up their claim that their skin creme helped slow the natural process of skin aging, the package they got contained claims by less than 100 women who expressed the opinion that this skin cream was helping their skin stay young. Any woman who fork out $400 for a tub of skin cream is going to be convinced that it works, and so even the placebo effect is going to generate 100 people who believe this product works.
The former cosmetic company chemist they had on the show basically said that if you're paying any more than about $25 for a tub of skin cream, you're wasting your money on a gimick. Cosmetic companies may add tiny amounts of stuff like plant stem cells to their skin creme only to be able to point to a difference between their skin cream and everyone else's. They then suggest that that difference results in their skin cream working better, when in fact there's no evidence at all that it does. In today's society people are brainwashed into thinking that if something costs more, it's better. The cosmetic companies have only to find a reason to make the customer think their product will work better to charge significantly more for it. Leaving the customer with the impression that plant stem cells from germinating seeds will somehow benefit her skin is just one example in what amounts to a competition to sell the most expensive skin creams to the richest women.
I like that Market Place show because it digs into things that you suspect are probably rip-offs, and 99% of the time they turn out to be blatant rip-offs. It just takes a bit of investigation to prove it; something that most of us simply don't have the time to do.
--
nestork

nestork wrote:

They are OK to be ripped off. What do they have between two ears?
On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 03:43:53 +0100, nestork wrote:

Most diet plans or pills are a gimmick that rely on peoples weaknesses. They look for the easy way and then spend hundreds or even thousands to get it.
On 11/1/2014 11:44 PM, wg_2002 wrote:

I lost 127 pounds on the Storming Moron plan, and never want to go back. I also saved thousands of dollars by paying retail for products I'll never use.
On 11/01/2014 10:44 PM, wg_2002 wrote:

Correct...and a diet will never work permanently if it entails starving one's self.
My wife and I both cut down on carbs but still eat plenty and have lost most of the "little extra" we had put on over the last few years.
On 11/1/2014 10:43 PM, nestork wrote:

And now if you want a bargain. For $350 USD, you may have a membership in the Stormin Moron Club. With the certificate and ID card, you will get retail prices on all kinds of things you need around the house. Just take the card to any participating store near you, and ask for the Stormin Moron retail price, and you'll be saving instantly!
Limited time offer, not valid where prohibited by law, or in the presence of common sense. This disclaimer may be expanded without notice.
On 11/2/2014 6:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And you're the president.
On 11/2/2014 11:22 AM, gonjah wrote:

Right, I get all the money from my own membership fee. I've saved tons of money buying blenders, tenderizers, and motion jiggler fat bomb machines at retail.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Does Harbor Freight honor the card?
On 11/2/2014 1:45 PM, rbowman wrote:

Sure! I've gone in and demanded to pay retail. Some of the store clerks look at me funny, but they come around after I explain the program.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Fat people will do anything (except diet and exercise self-control) to lose weight.
--
I kill-file all messages posted through Google Groups.

VinnyB wrote:

Hi, I always wonder, they did not get over weight over night. What they were doing getting fat? That is some thing I don't understand. I was 210 lbs when I was 20 in army boot camp. Since I am always ~~165 lbs. I am almost 6'. Wife is always ~120 lbs. She is 5' 6". No one in my family has weight problem.
On 11/02/2014 11:07 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Too many carbohydrates.
On 11/2/2014 11:07 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Much of that weight problem is family issue. Either the genetics, or the family eating habits.
Plenty of people in my family were over weight. Is that genetic, eating habits, or (my guess) both.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/3/2014 5:29 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The problem with eating a highly processed diet is that those carbs spike your blood sugar and make you feel hungry again soon after. You end up eating more than you ought. Dump the snacks and go back to mainly eating simple meals prepared simply with just a few ingredients, such as vegetables and some protein. It will get you off the snack/hungry/snack merry go round. Also, dishes Americans now routinely eat would've been considered banquet or holiday fare in the old days. Lavish dishes packed with luscious ingredients/calories should be eaten only occasionally, not every day.
I've lost five pants sizes following my own advice.
On 11/3/2014 2:17 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

The Mormon word of wisdom says (among other things) wheat for the man, fruits and vegetables in season. Meat sparingly and with thanksgiving.
When in doubt, read the manufacturer's manual.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/4/2014 6:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

For the love of God, your owner's manual needs to be updated to alert people to the damage being caused by genetically modified wheat.
http://preventdisease.com/news/12/032012_Why-80-Percent-of-People-Worldwide-Will-Soon-Stop-Eating-Wheat.shtml
On 11/4/2014 4:55 PM, Fake ID wrote:

Agree. You should write to church HQ in Salt Lake City, Utah, and tell em.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/4/2014 3:55 PM, Fake ID wrote:

GMO wheat is only currently being tested and is not sold commercially. AFAIK.
On 11/04/2014 08:27 PM, gonjah wrote:

Is chemical mutagenesis safer than genetic modification?
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/07/herbicide-resistant-wheat/