Device For Broadcasting Salt ?

I'm spreading salt on my inclined driveway by hand.

But coverage is uneven and I am waste a certain amount of salt.

First thing that comes to mind are those hand-crank seed spreaders, but salt and seed are different enough that I don't feel like taking a chance and just buying one.

Does anybody have something that actually works for them ?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I have used a hand-crank seeder and it works fine when I want an even application of deicer to the pavement. Thing is, I usually want to add extra to icier spots, so I end up applying by hand in those spots anyway.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

There's little difference between rock salt and bug granules . Buy the hand crank unit . Salt may not feed as quickly as the granules due to average particle size , but then I can't remember ever using but the lowest 2 settings on mine . Crank slower for a narrower swath .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

If you truly want a uniform dispersal AND have a sizeable driveway, consider a "*Drop* Fertilizer Spreader". Something like: Other "spreaders" throw the seed/fertilizer (in your case, salt) and, as such, leave heavy and light spots. A drop spreader LAYS DOWN a layer so it's only going where you want it (no risk to killing nearby flora!) -- sort of like mowing a lawn.

The other advantage (for folks with big driveways) is that it will carry a fair bit more than a hand spreader -- and is more convenient than carrying a bag of salt with you (in your arms) as you walk the driveway, walkway and sidewalks.

Downside is it doesn't work on unshoveled areas! (wheels need traction)

Reply to
Don Y

Retired

I've done it with a ferilizer spreader but it didn't work very well.

Reply to
clare

It can be done by throwing in a sweeping/horizontal motion...it doesn't take much practice.

Reply to
bob_villain

You may get better results with the calcium chloride pellets as they are more uniform and smaller than salt.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski