OT: No Can Opener?

Hopefully you've got a supply of these handy...

DerbyDad03

My Swiss army type knives still have the very old type. Wonder if young people even know what they are on their knives.

I almost used mine yesterday while out hunting when I opened a can of fish fillets for lunch and the pull tab broke off. Prying the partially cut tin with the Swiss army knife's blade got it off.

Reply to
Frank

Frank wrote in news:l68vbc$gga$1@dont- email.me:

Fish fillets? If you're hunting, you should be eating beans.

If a man farts in the forest and there's no one around, does it still smell?

Reply to
Tegger

Maybe that's why I didn't see any deer.

Reply to
Frank

You guys don't have a P-38 on your key chain. Shame on you.

Reply to
gfretwell

Remember what they said in the video...

It was all about how to open a can with no tools. No Swiss army knifes, no P-38's, just a piece of concrete.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

So you did use it.

I have a wall can opener, two double-handle hand can openers, a teeny backpackers can opener, and even though beer and soda come with pull tabs, a 32 or 64 oz. can of tomato juice doesn't, so I have a few openers that open that. That can be used for a regular can too. Just make a row of holes around the circumference.

I have a knife with a can opener too, but it's cheap and would probably break if I tried it on a can.

Reply to
micky

A piece of concrete is a tool.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How's "about tools other than a piece of concrete"?

My apologies.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'd also accept "no steel, conventional tools". Knew what was meant, just took the moment to netpick.

Just my ODC, acting up, along with my lysdexie.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes but not the can opener part. I've got 3 Swiss type army knives, one carried in the car. Certainly not the bigger tool you might want but they get you by in a pinch.

Reply to
Frank

I shouldn't try to type so early in the morning.

One more try...

How's about "no tools other than a piece of concrete"?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Not often one sees a poster doing his own netpick. Might be first time I remember seeing one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just preempting the inevitable. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

you can buy one of those 'french' can openers from "Great Cook" (sp?)

The new models are reduced to almost no weight, and you could cut back the handle to save space.

Gently pushing the kitchen trash down into the receptacle and getting sliced too many times by an errant standard can opened lid left in the trash AND the concept of pouring contents of can over the filth left on the top [ok wash it off!] have me convinced this new style of opener is the only way to go.

Reply to
RobertMacy

e:

Can lid is not suppossd to go in the trash, but in the recycle bin(s). Som e cities have different bins for glass, metal and paper. Ours used to, but now it's all in one, and probably sorted by a contractor like in the TV programs where they show gigantic smart machinery. If your city doesn't ha ve recyling -- most do now -- why not suggest it to the relevant municipal authority.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Brace for flame! (thinking of viking slave labor ships)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I usually put the lid in the can, where it sinks to the bottom. Is a french can opener one that cuts off the top below the seam with the rest of the can. That may make the lid safe, but isn't the can just as sharp as the lid is with the standard can opener?

Reply to
micky

Not with the OXO brand as well as others of a similar type...

DerbyDad03