OT: No Can Opener?

Page 1 of 2
http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2013/11/05/open-can-without-can-opener/

Hopefully you've got a supply of these handy...
http://www.livetolist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Band-aid.jpg
On 11/16/2013 4:40 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

My Swiss army type knives still have the very old type. Wonder if young people even know what they are on their knives.
I almost used mine yesterday while out hunting when I opened a can of fish fillets for lunch and the pull tab broke off. Prying the partially cut tin with the Swiss army knife's blade got it off.
email.me:

Fish fillets? If you're hunting, you should be eating beans.
If a man farts in the forest and there's no one around, does it still smell?
--
Tegger

On 11/16/2013 7:12 PM, Tegger wrote:

Maybe that's why I didn't see any deer.
On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 18:32:50 -0500, Frank

So you did use it.
I have a wall can opener, two double-handle hand can openers, a teeny backpackers can opener, and even though beer and soda come with pull tabs, a 32 or 64 oz. can of tomato juice doesn't, so I have a few openers that open that. That can be used for a regular can too. Just make a row of holes around the circumference.
I have a knife with a can opener too, but it's cheap and would probably break if I tried it on a can.
On 11/17/2013 4:03 AM, micky wrote:

Yes but not the can opener part. I've got 3 Swiss type army knives, one carried in the car. Certainly not the bigger tool you might want but they get you by in a pinch.

you can buy one of those 'french' can openers from "Great Cook" (sp?)
The new models are reduced to almost no weight, and you could cut back the handle to save space.
Gently pushing the kitchen trash down into the receptacle and getting sliced too many times by an errant standard can opened lid left in the trash AND the concept of pouring contents of can over the filth left on the top [ok wash it off!] have me convinced this new style of opener is the only way to go.
On Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:46:11 AM UTC-8, Robert Macy wrote:
e:

Can lid is not suppossd to go in the trash, but in the recycle bin(s). Som e cities have different bins for glass, metal and paper. Ours used to, but now it's all in one, and probably sorted by a contractor like in the TV programs where they show gigantic smart machinery. If your city doesn't ha ve recyling -- most do now -- why not suggest it to the relevant municipal authority.
HB
On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 07:46:11 -0700, RobertMacy

I usually put the lid in the can, where it sinks to the bottom. Is a french can opener one that cuts off the top below the seam with the rest of the can. That may make the lid safe, but isn't the can just as sharp as the lid is with the standard can opener?

Not with the OXO brand as well as others of a similar type...
www.youtube.com/watch?vVlfWvYeD8

cuts off in the middle of the 'rimmy' part, so NO sharp edges
PLUS! you can place the lid on top and store in the fridge, items like black olives, but NOT tomatoes nor pineapple slices.
On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 14:37:49 -0700, RobertMacy

That I've never seen, afaik. I've seen ads for afaik the kind I described.

Forgot to mention, also use for those half used Campbell's cream of something soup cans. Like half a cream of mushroom, or cream of chicken when you used the first half for a gravy or such, makes storage simple. Lid just sits on top and easily store that way for a week in a 38F fridge.
On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 08:10:50 -0700, RobertMacy

I'll keep my eyes open for one for sale.

Safeway Good Cook brand
On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 23:12:03 -0700, RobertMacy

In Baltimore there are Shoprite, Shoppers and Safeway supermarkets. And maybe more S supermarkets -- I confuse them all. Like I confuse all the A autoparts stores, Advance and at least one other, Alamo?, APepBoys?
I'm pretty sure one Safeway near me closed, but I think I went to another not that far away, just because it had a sale on meat! So I know where it is.
Thanks.
On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 07:46:11 -0700, RobertMacy

I couldn't find the Great Cook
But I found, googling French can opener, only this "MIU France CanDo Safety Can"
(Amazon.com product link shortened)84915112&sr=8-7&keywords=french+can+opener
It only talks about the lid being safe. Not about the can being safe or the lid being usable as a lid after the can is opened. It's 19 dollars which isn't too bad, but if the really French one is much more than that.....
Oh, I bet you mean the Good Cook, not great but at least good.
I found http://www.goodcook.com/index.php?main_page vanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=l384pf8u5op5gib1i01a1s1ia5&inc_subcat=1&zenid=l384pf8u5op5gib1i01a1s1ia5&keywordn+opener 24 can openers but no french.!

You guys don't have a P-38 on your key chain. Shame on you.

Remember what they said in the video...
It was all about how to open a can with no tools. No Swiss army knifes, no P-38's, just a piece of concrete.