Carpeting Complications

We had new carpet installed last week. One of the major complications was t hat we had to unhook all the home entertainment devices and move them out b efore the installation; TV, cable box, X-Box, Blu-Ray, old VSH player, etc. Before unplugging, I took a picture of how the wires were hooked to the ba ck of each device with my wife's iPad. It made re-assembly much easier.

I'm going to do dis-assembly pictures on any complicated repair from now on .

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

that we had to unhook all the home entertainment devices and move them out before the installation; TV, cable box, X-Box, Blu-Ray, old VSH player, et c. Before unplugging, I took a picture of how the wires were hooked to the back of each device with my wife's iPad. It made re-assembly much easier. I 'm going to do dis-assembly pictures on any complicated repair from now on. Paul

Now that photos are essentailly free, that is definitely the way to go with anything that is to be disassembled and then reassembled.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi, One atta boy! for you? That is very good idea specially if you don't understand things around all those stuffs. For myself, I don't have to take pictures. But when I was kid my dad used to tell me, you can take apart any thing but make sure you know how to put it back. Draw picture on a piece of paper B4 you start.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

While a picture is a good idea, labeling the cables works pretty well too. No worries of a cable hiding behind another in the picture, etc.

Labeling can be as simple as masking tape and a Sharpie or as fancy as this...

For example, I have 5 inputs into my surround system and 5 speaker outputs. All of the wires are labeled making it very easy to move stuff around when I have to.

Of course, only certain things can be labeled, so you're idea of pre-disassembly pictures is a great one.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

About 6 years ago we moved our factory. Sixteen machines along with all sort of support stuff like hydraulic and vacuum systems. We spent many hours marking wires, cables, machine legs, and anything else that came apart. Sure made it easier putting it back together.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, I spent fist half of my career in military comm.(wired and wireless) in C&I and M&O. Second half in main frame systems, zillions of cables of all sorts to deal with. Labeling and color coding was way of daily life. Also I know how to lace/stitch cable bundles, race them on racks and ducts, etc. per mil-spec.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

that we had to unhook all the home entertainment devices and move them out before the installation; TV, cable box, X-Box, Blu-Ray, old VSH player, et c. Before unplugging, I took a picture of how the wires were hooked to the back of each device with my wife's iPad. It made re-assembly much easier.

I've been doing that for a while now. Most of the time I don't need them b ut occasionally they have saved me a bit of time figuring out something I d idn't expect to need to know on re-assembly. Like discovering a part that fits two ways but is not symetrical and is only meant to attach one of thos e ways.

Reply to
jamesgang