OT: Math question

Well, not exactly OT. Suppose the average human walks 3 miles per hour. How long would it take to walk 700 feet from the front of one's property to the rear?

Reply to
willshak

Yeah, it really is OT; what's this, homework? The answer is

0.04 Hours. You can convert it to minutes-Seconds on your own.

Just cross multiply in both cases.

Reply to
Twayne

(700 / (3 x 5280)) x 60 = 2.65 minutes. (2 minutes, 39 seconds)

-Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner

Depends on how many gates, kids' toys and bicycles, etc., are in the way...

Reply to
dpb

Future reference-

This converter and calculator requires the use of Javascript enabled and capable browsers. This is composed of three sections to do classic Time, Speed and Distance calculations.

-----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I'm 72 years old.. My math has always, and still sucks. It was a simple question (but not for me) I didn't need the comment.

Reply to
willshak

Frank Warner wrote the following:

Thanks.

Reply to
willshak

I moved them all out of the way, included demolishing the shed that was in the way. :-).

Reply to
willshak

Thanks, but I just need the answer this one time.

Reply to
willshak

Easy for you. I forget my grandkids birthdays and there no math involved. :-0

Reply to
willshak

Just think it through...

One mile = 5280 feet

Three mph = (5280 *3) = 15,840 feet

There are 60 minutes in an hour, 60 seconds in a minute so there are 3600 seconds per hour

To get feet per second, divide 15840 by 3600 = 4.4 feet per second at 3 MPH

700 feet / 4.4 seconds = 159 seconds plus change to go 700' at 3 MPH 159 seconds = 2 minutes 39 seconds
Reply to
dadiOH

He'd get the wrong answer if he did.

Reply to
dadiOH
700 / 5280 tells us that the distance is 0.1325 miles

0.1325 miles / 3 miles per hour tell us the time is 0.04419

Multiply by 60 minutes gives 2.65 minutes

(if I did all this correctly).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Two minutes and some. I went about it differently, but it worked out about the same.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We have our different skills. My math was good, but other things are lacking.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When all else fails, check it with your watch. But then again, you may not walk 3 mph.

Reply to
Ron

This is NOT an answer to the gentleman's question about walking the length of his lot, but might be handy for some who need to quickly solve a simple equation. I'll use the real estate version of it for the example, but it is just as handy for Ohm's Law or any other simple equation.

In Real Estate appraisal, there is a very simple equation where the (V)alue of a property equals its (I)ncome / capitalization Rate.

That can be expressed as V=I/R I=R*V or R=I/V Many of the appraisal folk are not that skilled in even the simplest algebra, so they need tools to help them convert between Income, Value and the cap Rate. To do this, we teach them "IRV." Hopefully, this will appear correctly on your screen. If not, just follow the directions.

Draw a circle on a piece of paper and then draw a horizontal line across the circle from the 9:00 position to the 3:00 position. Then, draw a vertical line from the center of the circle to the

6:00 position. In the top half of the circle, write I. In the lower left quadrant, write R and the lower right quadrant gets a V. To solve for any variable, merely cover the item up with your finger. Covering R, for instance, you have I/V remaining. Covering V, you have I/R and finally, by covering I you have R and V.

For Ohm's law E= I*R (Voltage = Current * Resistance) Therefore E goes in the upper half of the circle, with I and R occupying the two bottom quadrants. Covering E with your finger gives you I and R to multiply. Covering R, you have E/I and finally covering I gives you E/R. This also works, obviously with P= E*I (Power = Voltage * Current)

Reply to
Nonny

British army marching pace is 100 yards per minute (for 50 min. per hour) so you need 2 minutes and some seconds over. (The average human walks a bit more slowly.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

"Ron" wrote in news:hor88i$n8f$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Two words: decimal system.

Reply to
Han

I doubt anyone will have a clue what is the answer to go with your hint.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon