OT: Math question

Page 1 of 3

Well, not exactly OT. Suppose the average human walks 3 miles per hour. How long would it take to walk 700 feet from the front of one's property to the rear?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yeah, it really is OT; what's this, homework? The answer is 0.04 Hours. You can convert it to minutes-Seconds on your own.
Just cross multiply in both cases.
Twayne wrote the following:

I'm 72 years old.. My math has always, and still sucks. It was a simple question (but not for me) I didn't need the comment.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Just think it through...
One mile = 5280 feet
Three mph = (5280 *3) = 15,840 feet
There are 60 minutes in an hour, 60 seconds in a minute so there are 3600 seconds per hour
To get feet per second, divide 15840 by 3600 = 4.4 feet per second at 3 MPH
700 feet / 4.4 seconds = 159 seconds plus change to go 700' at 3 MPH
159 seconds = 2 minutes 39 seconds
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote the following:

involved. :-0
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

boo-hoo. You got the comment for free.

3 x 5280 per mile = 15840 feet per hour. Divided by 60 = 264 feet per minute. For 700 feet 700/264 = 2.651515 minutes. That's 2 minutes plus 0.651515 x 60 secs. Or 2 mins. 39 (and a little tiny bit around one tenth of) seconds. But after all we are not timing the luge run of the Vancouver Olympics in 100ths) eh? It's also the nature of the interesting and interested people who inhabit these news groups that there will be 'gratuitous' comments. A news group is not an 'Information Service' but a forum of persons who are concerned enough to respond to other's questions. My appreciation to all who have ever responded to my various enquiries. Even if negative and critical comments, always helpful. Maybe a f good thing, once in a while for someone to tell you, "Get a life!". Thanks folks.
On 3/29/2010 11:08 AM willshak spake thus:

You know, this isn't really even math, just basic arithmetic.

- a Usenet "apology"
Twayne wrote:

He'd get the wrong answer if he did.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

(700 / (3 x 5280)) x 60 = 2.65 minutes. (2 minutes, 39 seconds)
-Frank
--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com /
Frank Warner wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Depends on how many gates, kids' toys and bicycles, etc., are in the way...

dpb wrote the following:

I moved them all out of the way, included demolishing the shed that was in the way. :-).
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Now you have to get by the policeman asking to see your demolition permit.

Future reference-
This converter and calculator requires the use of Javascript enabled and capable browsers. This is composed of three sections to do classic Time, Speed and Distance calculations. http://www.csgnetwork.com/csgtsd.html -----
- gpsman
gpsman wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
700 / 5280 tells us that the distance is 0.1325 miles
0.1325 miles / 3 miles per hour tell us the time is 0.04419
Multiply by 60 minutes gives 2.65 minutes
(if I did all this correctly).
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus