OT: Math question

Han wrote the following:

Dewey's? That would require me to go to the Library.

Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote in news:u7mdnaRLJI0zei3WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

How many times will the person take a nap before completing?

Reply to
Stepfann King

OK.

A "mile" is 1,000 paces of a Roman soldier.

In an hour, the Roman would walk 3,000 paces.

700 feet is "about" 100 paces.

IOW: it would take about 2 minutes.

Reply to
John Gilmer

John Gilmer wrote the following:

I am not a Roman soldier. I did serve in the US Navy, but didn't march much after boot camp.

In an hour, my ship (Cruiser) could go more than 36 miles..

Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote in news:u7mdnaZLJI0MZy3WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

boo-hoo. You got the comment for free.

Reply to
Stepfann King

Are you trying to do this to figure out the distance, or just to mathematically see how long it takes? If you want to figure distance, do about five trials of stepping off paces, measuring how far you go in five or ten paces, dividing by the number of paces, and averaging the length of one pace. If you have a regular rhythm of pacing, you can get remarkably close.

If you are just wondering how long it takes to go from point a to point b, it's just simple math.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Roman pace (two steps) was 5 ft. and mile was 5,000 ft. English added the extra 280 ft. to relate to other arcain measurements like the furlong and rod.

OP is either a nitwit or just wants somebody to converse with. Stuff like this is taught in grade school, boy scouts or boot camp. If he does not know it, it is a wonder he can type.

Reply to
Frank
700/{(3*5300)/60}=minutes to walk
Reply to
Jack

Uphill or down? Bog or sand? Is the man walking it average? Is there a strong headwind? Any water hazards? If you can't remember your kid's birthdays, what makes you think you'll remember the answer to this question?

nb

Reply to
notbob

In the 4th Century AD, Vegetius wrote that a Roman soldier would carry up to 60 pounds. At normal speed, he was expected to go 20 miles in 5 hours. At fast speed, it would be 24 miles in 5 hours.

Could that be true? It would mean an average of 111 or 133 yards per minute for 5 hours, while the modern British pace would average 83.

Reply to
J Burns

I'm 76 and did it this way.

3 x 5280 per mile =3D 15840 feet per hour. Divided by 60 =3D 264 feet per minute. For 700 feet 700/264 =3D 2.651515 minutes. That's 2 minutes plus 0.651515 x 60 secs. Or 2 mins. 39 (and a little tiny bit around one tenth of) seconds. But after all we are not timing the luge run of the Vancouver Olympics in 100ths) eh? It's also the nature of the interesting and interested people who inhabit these news groups that there will be 'gratuitous' comments. A news group is not an 'Information Service' but a forum of persons who are concerned enough to respond to other's questions. My appreciation to all who have ever responded to my various enquiries. Even if negative and critical comments, always helpful. Maybe a f good thing, once in a while for someone to tell you, "Get a life!". Thanks folks.
Reply to
terry

the extra 280 ft. to relate to other arcain measurements like the furlong and rod.

Your "math" and my math are about the same.

like this is taught in grade school, boy scouts or boot camp. If he does not know it, it is a wonder he can type.

So what? I had find responding.

And so did you!

Reply to
John Gilmer

And you apparently think that calling others down makes you somehow look more important and above them. But you're wrong.

Reply to
Twayne

What in the world is wrong with asking a question? I took the guy at full face value.

Reply to
Nonny

"Nonny" wrote

It bothers the bejeebers out of people who know it all.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

There are 5280 feet in a mile so you could walk 15840 feet in an hour or you could walk it 22.6 times.

Reply to
LSMFT

Thanks Frank. Yeah, I'm probably a nitwit. As for the need for conversation remark, sort your sender list for my name.

Reply to
willshak

On 3/29/2010 11:08 AM willshak spake thus:

You know, this isn't really even math, just basic arithmetic.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Now you have to get by the policeman asking to see your demolition permit.

Reply to
Harry L

Plus the time it takes to pet the cat :-)

[snip]
Reply to
Jimmy D