OT: Well well well...

"The Financial Times gave a front page splash last Friday to the
exciting news that Renault are to close a car assembly plant in Spain
and move the production of two models to the Nissan site in Sunderland.
No mention of the danger of no deal on Brexit or of all of those years
when the FT told us confidently that with Brexit such investment was
impossible."
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
Nissan Gives Cold Comfort to Brexit-Threatened Auto Plant
The Nissan plant in Sunderland, England, will receive a production line for an updated Juke crossover, but post-Brexit prospects for the plant remain grim.
Nissan Motor Co. unveiled a revamped production line in the English town of Sunderland on Thursday. Yet the fanfare around the updated Juke crossover model may prove to be no more than a stay of execution for a factory whose future will be on the line in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
The introduction of the face-lifted auto at Britain?s biggest car p lant will be accompanied by the loss of one of five daily work shifts as st aff transfer between the site?s two assembly lines, a move that may be a precursor of further cuts to come.
Reply to
polygonum_on_google
I guess TNP must have suddenly thought Brexit was so wonderful that manufacturers were now rushing here to build their products.
If manufacturers ever do that, it will be because UK wages and exchange rate have dropped so low that we become a cheap-labour country like Malaysia or Brazil.
Reply to
Pamela
In article ,
Investment? Are you saying the Sunderland plant is to be expanded to produce these models? Or merely that is already under used due to cutbacks?
Of course with Sterling low against the Euro, it may well be cheaper to assemble cars here. Just what Brexiteers wanted. Lower real world wages here than in the likes of Spain.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
That's all assuming we buy cars in the future like we've bought cars in the past.
I suspect they are dumping the end-of-life production on the UK, while the world moves into the 21st century.
I imagine the UK is still a world leader in horse-drawn carriages. That nasty Mr. Ford never got us there did he ?
Reply to
Jethro_uk
In article ,
Quite. Just where is the mass electric car assembly in the UK?
To some, the internal combustion engine reached its peak with the Merlin. ;-)
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
In article ,
Approximately 85% of the parts used in UK assembled Nissans come from the EU.
Boris has already admitted we can't even have a truly open border between the UK and NI.
Just wait until negotiations finish. We'll be applying tarrifs to everything.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
Yes. Getting rid of the shitty old crap, and dumping it in the UK.
Maybe they've got Dyson onboard as an advisor, it's what he'd do.
Reply to
Jethro_uk
Car sales are due to crash post corvid. Probably got more to do with it. As are house prices.
Reply to
harry
You didn't see the release of our tariffs then (yesterday, day before?)
80% of tariffs abolished, almost certainly including all components, but 10% on complete cars.
It's standard practice to allow importation of components tariff free and apply tariffs to finished goods. Even within the EU they do it for computers.
tim

Reply to
tim...

Site Timeline Threads