OT: Well well well...

"The Financial Times gave a front page splash last Friday to the exciting news that Renault are to close a car assembly plant in Spain and move the production of two models to the Nissan site in Sunderland.
No mention of the danger of no deal on Brexit or of all of those years when the FT told us confidently that with Brexit such investment was impossible."

On Thursday, 21 May 2020 08:19:26 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Nissan Gives Cold Comfort to Brexit-Threatened Auto Plant
The Nissan plant in Sunderland, England, will receive a production line for an updated Juke crossover, but post-Brexit prospects for the plant remain grim.
Nissan Motor Co. unveiled a revamped production line in the English town of Sunderland on Thursday. Yet the fanfare around the updated Juke crossover model may prove to be no more than a stay of execution for a factory whose future will be on the line in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
The introduction of the face-lifted auto at Britain’s biggest car p lant will be accompanied by the loss of one of five daily work shifts as st aff transfer between the site’s two assembly lines, a move that may be a precursor of further cuts to come.

so why would they make a decision 2 months before they find out
tim
On 09:24 21 May 2020, polygonum_on_google said:

I guess TNP must have suddenly thought Brexit was so wonderful that manufacturers were now rushing here to build their products.
If manufacturers ever do that, it will be because UK wages and exchange rate have dropped so low that we become a cheap-labour country like Malaysia or Brazil.
On 21/05/2020 09:24, polygonum_on_google wrote:

Spin, spin and spin again...

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

Investment? Are you saying the Sunderland plant is to be expanded to produce these models? Or merely that is already under used due to cutbacks?
Of course with Sterling low against the Euro, it may well be cheaper to assemble cars here. Just what Brexiteers wanted. Lower real world wages here than in the likes of Spain.
--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

On Thu, 21 May 2020 11:34:49 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

That's all assuming we buy cars in the future like we've bought cars in the past.
I suspect they are dumping the end-of-life production on the UK, while the world moves into the 21st century.
I imagine the UK is still a world leader in horse-drawn carriages. That nasty Mr. Ford never got us there did he ?
On 21/05/2020 12:09, Jethro_uk wrote:

they are dumping their Spanish plant. That's in the EU...for the moment anyway.

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

Approximately 85% of the parts used in UK assembled Nissans come from the EU.
Boris has already admitted we can't even have a truly open border between the UK and NI.
Just wait until negotiations finish. We'll be applying tarrifs to everything.
--
*I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

You didn't see the release of our tariffs then (yesterday, day before?)
80% of tariffs abolished, almost certainly including all components, but 10% on complete cars.
It's standard practice to allow importation of components tariff free and apply tariffs to finished goods. Even within the EU they do it for computers.
tim
On Thu, 21 May 2020 13:06:54 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes. Getting rid of the shitty old crap, and dumping it in the UK.
Maybe they've got Dyson onboard as an advisor, it's what he'd do.
On Thursday, 21 May 2020 13:06:56 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Car sales are due to crash post corvid. Probably got more to do with it. As are house prices.

Quite. Just where is the mass electric car assembly in the UK?

To some, the internal combustion engine reached its peak with the Merlin. ;-)
--
*A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times more memory.

On Thu, 21 May 2020 13:44:36 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Queuing behind the rollout of the charging infrastructure to support it, presumably.