(OT) LG Cellphone browser upgrades.

Page 1 of 2
I have a LG flip phone using prepaid Tracfone. It's NOT a smartphone, just a basic phone for calls, texts, and has a basic browser built in. I dont really want or need a smartphone. But I used to use the browser to get weather reports and a few other basic online things.
Several months ago, the browser just began rejecting most websites, even weather.com. All I get are error messages. Bu I know it still works for some stuff, for example I can still access Google. I believe the phone needs a browser upgrade. I called Tracfone but their customer service it terrible. I got some foreign person who could barely speak english, and did not understand my problem. After wasting close to an hour, nothing was solved. But Tracfone is affordable, so I stick with it. I have a landline anyhow, but when I'm away from home, I need a cell.
I cant find anything about upgrading it using google. Maybe one of you knows a place to get upgrades. If not, I either have to live with it as-is, or buy a newer phone. These phones are only $25 to $40, but retyping my whole addressbook is something I prefer to avoid, when I have around 200 names in it.
Thanks in advance.
On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 23:29:36 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I know that ATT and Verizon offices can transfer your contacts list, so, there is probably some way to do it with your phone. Try doing some searching on that as you may be able to save them to your computer and upload to the new phone.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In the past I was able to save the contact list to the SIM card , move that to the new phone , then save to the internal memory on the new unit . Swap the new card back in and save to it ... but the last phone I tried that with didn't work out so well . You might see if that will work in your case - get one of the g-kids to help , l'il buggers are a lot more computer-savvy than we usually realize .
--
Snag

On 10/01/2015 09:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

You might be able to save you contacts to your sim card, then put that sim card in the new phone. Alternately, if you phone has bluetooth, you might be able to transfer your contacts to your computer (assuming your computer has a bluetooth card/dongle), then from there put them on the new phone.
Jon
On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 8:27:13 AM UTC-4, Jon Danniken wrote:

I would agree, it's probably more likely googling for how to move contacts on a Tracphone is going to be successful than how to upgrade the browser. On android smartphone upgrading is easy because it's an open system and designed to be used that way. Tracphone, IDK. I guess it's also a crap shoot if a newer Tracphone solves the browser problem he's having or not too.
Ting may be worth looking at as an alternative. You can bring your own phone, so you can buy a compatible phone, including used ones, on Ebay.
On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 05:27:08 -0700, Jon Danniken

Flip phones dont have SIM Cards, at least nothing that is removable. But I know it has bluetooth, which is something I never used on it. But I can get a dongle and give it a try.
On 10/02/2015 06:46 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

You are incorrect; all phones have a SIM card. You are also incorrect about all of them being non-removable (I've never seen one that isn't). Here is one example (from the tracfone lg420g):
http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/straighttalk/tutorial.seam?tutorialIdA53&deviceIdh6
Jon
On 10/02/2015 09:14 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

A phone had a SIM card if it uses certain technology. AT&T and T-mobile phones use SIM cards. A few phones allow either (GSM with SIM, and CDMA without SIM). AFAIK, all phones with 4G LTE use SIM cards. A Verizon or Sprint phone without LTE doesn't.
I currently have both Verizon and Sprint flip-phones. Neither has a SIM card. A friend has an AT&T flipphone. It does have a SIM card.

--
84 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 10/02/2015 09:50 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Thanks Mark, I stand corrected.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

Gotta disagree Jon . The Mrs. sells these things at WM , and some of the new ones do not have a SIM card .
--
Snag

Yep. My last two tracfones either didn't have SIM cards or they were not removable. Either way, I never saw 'em.
nb
On 10/2/2015 1:12 PM, notbob wrote:

If it's on Verizon or Sprint, a non-LTE phone would have no SIM card. And the proprietary Tracfone phones for AT&T and T-Mobile don't need an accessible SIM card, it can be built-in and non-removable and unseen.
The big deal with Tracfone these days is their "Bring Your Own Phone" program since you can bring an AT&T smart phone over to Tracfone and the monthly cost is very low for those that don't use a lot of data. For those that will mostly use Wi-Fi, but that want a smart phone, it's one of the best deals in prepaid. Decent smart phones are very cheap these days. You can get a Moto E LTE for $80.

I'm looking for a NFR capable Tracfone.
I do know the phones available to Tracfone users are dependent on where you live. This is due to the dominant service (tmobil, verizon, etc) towers in any given area, as Tracfone uses all providers. If I want the fuller featured Android phones, I gotta buy a Denver area code phone. If I want this area code, I have to settle for less featured phones.
nb
On 10/2/2015 2:19 PM, notbob wrote:

That was the case with Tracfone's own proprietary phones. It's not the case with BYOP.
It will work on AT&T or Verizon phones (or unlocked GSM phones for AT&T service). You choose. Well they won't sell you service in areas where AT&T or Verizon doesn't have coverage but those areas are fairly small.
The question that is unanswered is if Tracfone is including off-network roaming like they do for their own phones. But with Verizon and AT&T the amount of off-network roaming that you would need is not huge, nothing like Sprint or T-Mobile.
On 10/2/2015 2:19 PM, notbob wrote:

What is NFR? Do you mean NFC?
Unfortunately the lower-cost Android phones lack NFC, you're looking at around $125 minimum for NFC <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1139432-REG/samsung_j100m_blk_galaxy_j1_j100m_unlockd.html .

Another good deal is the Republic phone for those that don't often have a need for the data. If you are around a wifi system you can use all the data you want on the $ 10 per month plan and have unlimiated calling and text. If away from wifi and really need data, you can punch in a few keys and just use the data plan for that month. I think it sa about $ 20, but I have never needed it. One distraction is that you have to use one of thier phones. They are made by Motorola and the less expensive one is just over $ 100.. Thy do not show one like I bought a few years ago,but it was about $ 175 at the time.
On 10/2/2015 2:49 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

The big issue with Republic is that they are on Sprint's native network which is pretty dismal.
Unless you never leave metro areas it's best to avoid Sprint MVNOs since they have no roaming, as well as avoiding T-Mobile. Certainly in the western U.S. you would not want to rely on Sprint native coverage since they have huge gaps. On Sprint itself you get off-network roaming.
On 10/02/2015 08:14 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Wrong. All GSM phones have SIM cards. CDMA phones typically did not. My TracFone is CDMA since I live in Verizon territory and does not have a SIM. My Verizon MiFi does have a SIM but that is because of the 4G LTE, not the CDMA.
On 10/2/2015 8:03 PM, rbowman wrote:

Sprint had a habit of soldering in GSM SIM cards in their "world" phones (CDMA/GSM) so you had to roam in Europe through Sprint at high prices rather than inserting a prepaid SIM purchased in the country you were visiting.
Tracfone's BYOP SIM card is actually two SIM cards, one for Verizon, one for AT&T. You choose the one that is for the phone you are bringing with you and discard the other one.
On 10/2/2015 9:46 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

My last two had them. ATT uses them, don't know about others.