OT: Is a stuck car accelerator capable of doing this?

Page 3 of 5

in2dadark wrote:

No way I could have held onto the steering wheel with one hand and made a call with the other. It had all original suspension in poor condition and I was bouncing up and down the road over patches and potholes. I had planned on slowing down before getting to that part of the road!
I just don't get why a

I can't say I would have known how to shut off that car with it's start/stop button, but I'd like to say I would have taken it out of gear.... if that was possible.
Nate Nagel wrote:

the place.

is rev limited to a very safe level when in neutral. To see how this works take any 1996 or newer vehicle, out of gear, and floor the accellerator. It will "surge" violently around the 4000 rpm mark as fuel is shut off to limit RPM. This is MANDATORY under OBD2 - and cannot be over-ridden by any throttle or cruise control malfunction.

That came to mind. You should be able to push the button off, or, thinking straight, toss the keys out the window do deactivate the proximity receiver/switch.
If it was a rental, you may not think of those things, but given the fact they had time to make a call, you'd think they'd try lots of stuff. Neutral would be a good choice.
wrote in message

Heh,I can picture you explaining to the rental agency why you don't have the keys to their car...... 8-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

well be coming to fetch it, either from the side of the road, or from wherever the cops towed it.
-- aem sends...

I rented a Chrysler convertible in Kauai. I had to ask around the office before I could get someone to go outside and show me how to run the convertible top. The instructions were, "Just push on the button". The next day, and in the daylight, I found out that things had to be moved in the trunk, and several gyrations had to be performed to safely operate the top mechanism. Someone less mechanically inclined would not have been able to do it, or crushed some components, and been on the losing end of a renter's nightmare. We had the car a week, and were continuously finding new knobs and functions. Glad the roof didn't actuate while under way.
Point is, rental agents generally are minimum wage kids, or people in general who don't know dick, even if you ask them.
Steve

On my keyless start car, you need the key fob to start it, but it will continue running just fine with the key fob out of the car.
IMO, you do not want to shut off the ignition with a run away engine. Too many cars will lock the steering wheel, giving you a whole new set of problems.
I've taught my wife and daughters to shift into neutral. That will keep the power steering and brakes alive and avoids the possibility of pushing on the gas instead of the brakes.
Does anyone know of vehicle where that wouldn't work? I've never seen one.
-- Doug

Most, if not all cars have two "off" positions. Off shuts off the engine, second 'off' locks steering an allows removal of the key. I don't know of any, and I have driven a bunch, that lock on the first position.
Harry K
harry k wrote:

What part of 'keyless ignition system' did you not see?
-- aem sends...

with the engine shut off the steering locks

What part of "too many cars" did you not see?
Harry K

Anything is possible, including an impaired driver. If the floor mat was on top of the accelerator, it may have also prevented the brake from being fully depressed as well. What was going on in the car that caused the floor mat to become entangled with the pedals, and why did the driver not simply turn off the ignition?

because they freaked out and stopped thinking. plus they were ON THE CELLPHONE.....
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
wrote in message

Actually, it wasn't that simple. It turns out it was a loaner car, so the driver was not familiar with it, and it didn't use an ignition "key". He would have to press the start button and hold it for three seconds. It is still a mystery as to why he didn't put the shift into neutral, or maybe he couldn't for some reason.

The dealer left recalled floor mats in the loaner, the ES doesn't come with an electronically controlled shifter.But To shift into neutral,reverse or park a lever must be depressed Just trying to throw it in neutral.isn't going to work and In a panic in a loaner car the hold it for three seconds may seem like three min. repeated jabs does nothing. Hold(3 - 5 sec).Then` Steering will momentarily lock, then turn back to on position not start position or Engine will restart Now way is the brakes going to stop you at highway speeds with full throttle I also have had two runaway cars, one with the floor mat wedged on it,one in a loaner I pressed the gas and brake at the same time Both took a few min. to figure out what was going on I'm sure the 911 call wasn't made till they knew it was not going to end well Spud
| Actually, it wasn't that simple. It turns out it was a loaner car, so the | driver was not familiar with it, and it didn't use an ignition "key". He | would have to press the start button and hold it for three seconds. It is | still a mystery as to why he didn't put the shift into neutral, or maybe he | couldn't for some reason.
Is there a mechanical linkage on those shifts? I had a Lexus with the start button as a loaner and one of the features of the shift was (I think) a pseudo-manual mode where you could shift up and down by tapping one way or the other. I don't think that part was mechanical so maybe the rest isn't either.
Also, I would not have known about the three second button hold (though I might have held it in desperation under the circumstances). When you stop normally (in park) you just tap the button to shut off the engine.
Dan Lanciani wrote:

Automatic transmissions are required to have a mechanical linkage for park / reverse / neutral / drive but not necessarily of the individual speeds. Does anyone else remember the push-button transmissions on Chryslers and Edsels in the 50s? In order to tow an Edsel with a dead battery it was necessary to uncouple the driveshaft because a solenoid was used to engage the park gear.

perations

I had a similar situation. I was stopped in the nick of time watching this short pink dress. Looked in the mirror and the guy behind me was looking at her too. I had scratches, he lost the front end. and pushed me into a third car. Little damage there too. I even gave him a ride home.