OT Ignition key didn't turn

This morning the ignition key wouldn't turn. I fiddled around with gear shift, steering wheel, removed and reinserted key and it worked! Restarted several times later as I drove around with no problems.
2012 Versa Hatchback. Has one of those chipped ignition key - yes, I'm sure I used the right key - I only have one on my key ring. Any ideas? I'm concerned it may happen again and strand me. I suspect I did something wrong. I've only had the car a few months. I'll read the manual again later for clues when I have a little time.
I'm a worry wart.
Thoughts?
TIA
On 08/15/2014 11:57 AM, KenK wrote:

The one thing you don't say you did fiddle with is stepping on brake--did you perhaps forget the one time but reflex kicked in later on???

Nope. That's not it. At least on my car. I just checked. Key turns without a problem without touching brake pedal. Too Bad! That would have solved my worry.

Yes.
On 8/15/14, 12:57 PM, KenK wrote:

won't turn unless the wheel is locked.

turned off the key with the wheels slightly turned, and the steering linkage put pressure on the steering lock. With the lock "unloaded" by fiddling with the steering wheel, it released and turned easily. This COMMONLY happens if you pull into a parking spot in a hurry, and turn off the key as you are rolling to a stop, with the wheels still being turned. If you always roll to a stop, center the wheel (or at least release all pressure on the wheel) and idle for a second or two before shutting down it is unlikely to happen again. Just my experience from decades as a mechanic.

Steering column and ignition switch are interlocked, to prevent steering from moving unless key is inserted and turned on. Under some circumstances, depending on how the wheel was turned when the car was parked, it's possible for the steering to put enough pressure against that interlock to prevent turning the key. The fix is to move the steering wheel a bit to relieve that pressure -- there's enough play, even with the wheel locked, to permit that.
This is a common enough situation that the owner's manuals in some vehicles mention that. And I think that's probably what happened to you.
On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 14:50:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Ditto on the steering wheel. I had that problem with my Honda a few times until I figured out the pawl in the steering wheel lock was the hang up. Just wiggle the wheel a little while turning the key and it will free right up.
Doeskeyappear worn? I have had troubles with keys over the years since I am constantly on the road.
Some chipped keys can be bought at wallmarts tire center much cheaper than the dealer:)
For my venture, 90 bucks at chevy dealer 35 bucks at wallmart. PLus wallmart programs the chipped key rather than making the driver program the vehicle

People sometimes forget that steering columns (and hence ignition switches) can lock because tires are pneumatic. That is, they're filled with air and can deform considerably.
I once got pulled over by a cop who decided to do a "field vehicle inspection" on my car because it looked like a jalopy to him. He claimed there was something wrong with my steering because I had to turn the steering wheel a full half turn before the front wheels on the car would start to turn. I explained to him that was entirely because those wheels were pneumatic and that it wouldn't happen if the tires were solid steel, or if I was driving when I turned the steering wheel. The cop realized I was right and told me to have the steering on my car checked!
If you turn the front wheels on a car that isn't moving, you can have quite a lot of force in the pneumatic steering tires trying to twist the tire back to it's original position, and it's that force that can lock up steering columns and hence ignition switches.
--
nestork