OT Idiot lights-out drivers

Page 6 of 16
On 02/13/2016 02:24 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
[snip]

That reminds me of something I heard once:
A company has 2 employees to produce an employee newsletter. They get a machine that allows the newsletter to be produced in half the time. What do they do:
A) Allow both employees to go home in the middle of the day, and continue to pay them the same (since they're getting the same amount of work done).
B) Fire one or the employees.
C) Require a more complex newsletter, so it still takes them both all day to do it.
--
"...it would be more pardonable to believe in no God at all, than to
blaspheme Him by the atrocious attributes of Calvin." -- Thomas
On 2/14/2016 1:08 PM, Sam E wrote:

D) Retrain one of them to REPAIR the machine when it breaks.

Very funny. Machines usually output more productivity than they take away with repairs.
--
*Squawk!* Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine! [Parroty error]

On 02/14/2016 01:08 PM, Sam E wrote:

I'm a sucker for museums do I can't remember which one it was, possibly the Ford. Anyway, it followed household appliances through the years. They noted as labor saving devices were introduced women found more complicated things to fill their days with.
I've certainly seen it in my career from those unreadable reports printed on green bar paper to the latest dashboard with burn down graphs, pie charts, and so forth. I haven't noticed management getting more productive but the managers certainly have more toys to keep them busy.
So, based on personal experience, I'll go with C.
On 2/14/2016 3:11 PM, rbowman wrote:

There's nothing like graphs, pie charts, and statistics in a spreadsheet to make a manager salivate! Oh, and they like their calculators, too.
--
Maggie

On 2/14/2016 2:11 PM, rbowman wrote:

Yes. The number of hours spent on "housework" has remained constant; regardless of the number (and cost!) of "labor saving" devices introduced.
Tasks that were not considered part of "normal" housework crept into the list (when floors were made of dirt, I don't imagine they got washed AND waxed often! :> ). And, still other "labor saving" devices just altered the character of the labor but didn't really "save" any.
E.g., we have a honking big "juicer" that we use for our citrus. Definitely a labor saver -- in terms of elbow grease. *But*, it needs to be cleaned after use -- as the pulp gets trapped in the places that are *supposed* to trap it, you can't just drop it in a dishwasher but, instead, need to clean it by hand. And, if you don't want the stainless to spot, it must be dried by hand. Then, reassembled and stored.
Of course, it also clogs *while* juicing. So, you must disassemble it and do a cursory cleaning frequently. And, shut down the motor while you're doing that -- which means waiting for it to spin up, again, later.

Look at how long it takes to write a simple memo! And, how many times it gets *printed* (proofs) before it gets distributed -- in our PAPERLESS offices! Do you see better grammar in those? Or, fewer typographical errors? I.e., isn't that what all those composition tools are *supposed* to address??
Closer to home: look at the advances in 4G languages (compared to earlier purely procedural languages). All the mechanisms that are supposed to make it easier to write *better* ("more correct") programs. Yet, programmer productivity remains astonishingly low and code quality equally poor. The only thing that has "improved" is the size of executables (if you consider "getting bigger" to be an improvement :> )!

On 02/14/2016 05:06 PM, Don Y wrote:

I'm amazed by the number of kitchen gadgets to do the tasks I accomplish with a well worn Old Hickory French knife. They've dropped the pattern but iirc it cost seven bucks.
On 2/14/2016 6:51 PM, rbowman wrote:

I think the most *effective* "kitchen gadget" that I've *found* (and, coincidentally *purchased*) in the past ~30 years were "artichoke stands".
BTW, if you ever see an artichoke in bloom, you'd probably lament each one that you *ate* (PRIOR to bloom!).

B (or A with half pay), but presumably C is what happens.
--
*Squawk!* Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine! [Parroty error]

On 2/13/2016 10:42 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Europe definitely has better benefits. What was the wage scale though? Could they both have the same style of living?
Per Ed Pawlowski:

In my experience, the German standard for a similar job is much higher.
But this is a subjective judgment.
Last time I priced them (a loooooong time ago) a pair of Nikes that cost, say, $50 USD were more like $150 in Germany.... and people there drive much, much smaller automobiles.....
OTOH, that has to be weighed against 6 weeks of vacation, overtime pay for working overtime, retirement at full pay, medical coverage, vastly-greater literacy, and so-forth.
"You pays your money and you takes your choice".
I tell my German relatives that I'd emigrate to Germany in a heartbeat except for one problem: Too Many Germans..... i.e. It's a foreign culture and German is a infamously-difficult language to learn.
When we would walk around in towns of any size (Mainz, for instance) it was obvious when we walked into a neighborhood populated mainly by non-Germans: dog poop on the sidewalks, trash, graffiti, dirt in general....
When I was taking Latin in high school, we had to read Caesar's Gallic Wars. I remember one part where somebody was talking about the English and the Germans.
The gist was something to the effect of "Well, the English paint themselves blue and throw spears at us; but we're going to civilize them. The Germans, on the other hand, are far more civilized and developed; but we are never going to get on with them because they're just so *different*".
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/13/2016 11:19 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Europe has a different idea of the role of gummit in society. The US believes society exists so folks can exploit one and other; the europeans seem to think it exists so folks can *help* one and other.
Huge difference.

Nonsense! You just fill your mouth with olive-sized jagged stones and try to pronounce "Petter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers" *without* letting any of them fall out of your mouth! ;-)

Germans, IME, tend to be highly conformist. But, that's from my observations of "german immigrants" and first descendants thereof.

On 02/13/2016 08:27 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

As Hillary Clinton said, this isn't Denmark. Somebody has to work so the CEO of Bank of America can get 13 million a year.
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 7:44:36 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That depends on the vehicle. I just checked the 2 cars that are home.
The 03 Element's dash is dark until the lights are turned on.
The 06 Ody's dash is lit whenever the car is running and actually gets dimmer when the headlights are turned on.
I'm not sure about the 07 Civic or the 05 Taurus. They're both away from home getting their Master's degrees at this time. :-)

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 17:38:29 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

The Oddity has an electronic display - right??

On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:12:50 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If you mean like a blank screen until the car is started, no. All gauges and indicators are always visible. The gauges are backlit when the ignition is on and the indicators light up.
http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/35749/2006-honda-odyssey-instrument-cluster-and-steering-wheel-photo-39131-s-1280x782.jpg

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 04:12:03 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Not a blank screen, but no physical needles ? - bar graph or "lit" indicators?

On 02/12/2016 05:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Um, in my Toyota the instrument panel is ALWAYS illuminated. When you turn the headlights on it goes through the dimmer so my instrument panel is actually darker when the lights are on.

What most detractors fail to realise is most DRLs run at half intensity.

That's another strange thing about this 2000 Solara. When I let the headlights turn on automatically, because I've started the engine, the dash lights don't go on for another 10 seconds or so. I don't know why it's not right away and I don't know what finally makes them go on! It might be shifting into gear, but I have to check.