OT: Hurricanes, New Orleans

Page 2 of 5

Exactly.

Harry K wrote:

changed the way the coastline grows or washes away. I believe that is the major factor in the low-lying lands sinking.
It's no such conundrum. It can STILL be a port, JUST DON"T LIVE IN THE AREA.... duh....
I can't believe so many stupid people who would choose to live in a hole in the ground , then bitch about it.

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

expensive.
Bullshit. They'd only have to build inland about 5 miles. Many, many people drive many many times that to work.

that is the one that got hit the worst), I doubt all that many people there worked at the port anyway.
Very good point. It seems most the the inhabitants of NO wouldn't work if they're life depended on it. I'm sure all the ports employees commute from outside NO anyway.

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

of the people in the most heavily hit areas were functionally illiterate. Sign their name, recognize their address, but that was about it. Not a whole lot of jobs for people that can't read and write at least at a basic level. What does the big diamond-shaped sign on that shipping container say? In an industrial environment, illiterate people are a hazard to themselves and others.
-- aem sends...
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

I'm in Houston. After Katrina, 100,000 evacuees came here (and many didn't go back, even after Bush sent the rinse-cycle named Rita). Our town was a culture shock for many. I've had several Houston police officers tell me they routinely hear "Whatca mean I can't be doin' my 'hood with a malt and a toke?"
Fortunately, this type got arrested double-quick and those not arrested killed each other at a prodigious rate.
There were some refugees, however, who ended up in places like Houston or Salt Lake City or Walla-Walla who have been heard to say: "You mean I jes stand behind the counter and make Slurpees and I gets PAID for it? Well, shit, man, that be cool!" They've become productive members of their new communities.
We in Houston learned a lesson, too. For a hundred years many of us treasured fond memories of the friendliness and hospitality of New Orleans. When Katrina struck, we did our best to reciprocate. We got screwed by the criminals.
While the plans, this time, are necessarily confidential, I can say that the "Interstate 10 Vigilance Committee for the Suppression of Vice and the Promotion of Morality" intends to take an active role in evacuation plans, principally by directing busses to San Antonio.

LOL! Dubya is/was going to San Antonio from Austin. Maybe setting something up...
Make you a bumper sticker: "The best way to see Houston, is through a rear view mirror"
In Miami, it was: "Will the last American leaving Miami, please bring the flag"
NO should secede from the union, declare war on the United States, surrender immediately, and file for foreign aid.
Worked in the Conch Republic, Monroe Co, FL.

How do you like the DemocRAT (on YouTube video!!)wishing that the hurricane makes a big mess of NOLA and takes away attention from the RNC? Or godless Michael Moore saying it's God's will the hurricane is hitting NOLA the same time as the convention.
Man,those DemocRATs are MEAN AND NASTY folk.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Norminn wrote:

side of Lake P., and have a bus service. It'd be cheaper than pounding money into the levees. Actual solution would be to undo the Atchafalaya (sp?) diverter, and let the big muddy go where it wants to- the coastal marshes might recover, then.
-- aem sends...

Ever hear of busses or trains?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Being born and raised in a place for many generations is a tad different than plunking down a million dollars and expecting welfare to maintain it. I live on the water, but not the beach. Got a seawall that we pay to maintain. No welfare.
My hometown was too low, so they raised it up eight feet. That was after it all burned, 1871. Cleaned up the lake by reversing flow of the river.
A couple of billion a month would fix N.O. up real nice, but we're wasting it in Iraq.
Norminn wrote:

It would take that since 75% of it is siphoned off into various pockets.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I thought it went into freezers???

It went into the glove-box, back in ABSCAM days.

Particularly Erik Prince's pocket from all his Blackwater contracts.
pittsburgh has a history of floods.
recently in flood prone areas, homeowners get bought out and flood areas are turned into natural parks.
this ends the problem one home at a time.
true new orleans should be fixed somehow, but honestly with bush as president who expects much of anything?
for bush supporters here please post a list of his successes?
short list huh:(
destabilize mid east, handing more power to iran. diminish world opinion of our country, didnt get bin laden, distracted by iraq, our economy down the tubes, geez the list is endless
the so called rebuilding of new orleans was a joke