OT - flashlight close out on Amazon

There is a parallel, there.
BTW, welcome back from death, again. Missed you for a couple days, there.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Nah, Sears had good hand tools, at one time.
In fairness, I've had switches fail on the better quality flashlights too. It seems to be the weak link.
On 1/17/2014 2:46 PM, TimR wrote:

be the weak link.

most every light. Some, I can fix at home.
One time I had a bad switch on a four D cell Mag, back in about 1978. Ought not have used it in the swimming pool. Every time I pushed the button, a bubble came out. Next day, no joy. The mag people were very kind about it. Reminded me it's water resistant, not water proof. Fixed and sent it back for just the postage. I like the Mag company.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I don't use flashlights enough to have switches fail (don't recall one ever failing). I was specifically talking about wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. HF stuff works to a degree but they're not, by any stretch, "good tools". The screwdrivers are particularly bad.

Ever try their drill bits ?
Most of my LEDs have failed switches. I have 3 that work good. That tells how many I've gone through.
I bought a big heavy led 500 lumen light at the home depot. I had to fix the switch as soon as I brought it home. I figured I'd save time taking It back. Real neat lamp. $20 .
I bought an led replacement for my scout/military angled flashlight. The darn switch leaks current enough to dimly light the led on off. Dam.
Greg

Sure. They hold an edge for one revolution, anyway. ;-)

Haven't run into that. I have a couple of flashlights I bought at HF six years ago (six LED + incandescent - three-way). I don't use them much but they still work. I also bought a high-intensity LED flashlight at a gun show recently. I figured the "strobe mode" would be good for keeping in the car when traveling.

Ditto -- leaking switch seems to be standard equipment on these LED lights.
On 1/9/2014 3:22 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On some of the older versions, if you push it too hard off center, you can make the little button thingie under the rubber twist the cylinder on end. Have to push it out of the metal to straighten it out. Newer versions don't have that problem. Threads seem to be better too.
On 1/9/2014 9:03 AM, mike wrote:

I've never had a problem with them. Since I have an unlimited supply there's no reason to ever buy new batteries for them.
HF is very good at marketing. Once you're in the store you find all sorts of things that you don't need at a price you can't resist.
Radio Shack needs to bring back the Battery of the Month Club. <
http://howtodoimportantthings.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/radio-shack.jpg

On 1/9/2014 2:16 PM, sms wrote:

Save the old ones to recycle for aluminum.
Hey, remember those grey five D cell lights with the red lens? Those were awesome. They gave em out free with coupon, and I'd of course buy batteries.
Remember the gold and white batteries? Before reds and greens.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/9/2014 2:16 PM, sms wrote:

I might still have a couple of those cards. Wonder if they still can be used?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/9/2014 12:03 PM, mike wrote:

First one of those I got, tried it outdoors in the parking lot. I was amazed how bright it was. Makes a good indoor light, doesn't have enough reach for out doors.
I put the battery sabot in backwards, and put in my coat pocket. So it doesn't get bumped on.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

If the battery is in backwards, that would explain why it's so dark in in your pocket. The flashlight is sucking all the light out of it.
On 1/9/2014 6:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

But, the LED darksuckers last so much longer.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/8/2014 5:14 PM, BenignBodger wrote:

I have a free one in the pocket of my bath robe. So I'm never far from a light. In the military, a pistol is what you use to fight your way to your rifle. My HF free light is what I use to stumble my way to my D cell light.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Today in email, Harbor Freight sale items. One is two LED 3-1/2" 9 LED mini flashlights for $2.00. http://www.harborfreight.com/led-flashlight-mini-2-piece-9-led-3-12-69112.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign14b&utm_source20 or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/lxqxzqp
The other sale items on the email are from 39% to 84% off. I can't forward the email to the group and have a text only server.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 1/10/2014 10:48 AM, willshak wrote:

From what I gather, about 68% of the adults in USA get Harbor Freight ads on email. The other 72% of the adults get flyers in the mail, and the remaining 46% of adults get flyers given to them by friends and relatives. Leaving only about 36% who don't get the ads.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I get HF ads in the mail and by email.
We've just had a HF built in the last couple of years and about 10 miles from me in a city where I almost always shop for everything. There's a Lowes, Home Depot, Sam's Club, Sears, Best Buy, Autozone, Shoprite, Walmarts and Hannafords in the same city so I can stop in to HF whenever I'm shopping or elegant dining at The Olive Garden, Pizza Hut, RBs, McDs or BK. ;-)
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

From what I gather, 87.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.