OT Disputing medicine charges

Page 1 of 4
I take Ambien to sleep. When I first started taking it, the generic form caused me to sleep walk. So the doctor changed my prescription to Ambien CR (which is timed released). The timed release doesn't have a generic so I have been paying big bucks for it.
This time, when I got my prescription filled, the pharmacy sent me the generic of the timed release that has just come out. I called them and they explained that the new generic was on the market. Well I tried it and it doesn't work. It will cause me to fall asleep, but I wake up after about 4 hours.
The have changed my order back to the Ambien CR, but they said they would not refund the cost of the generic. Their position was that because I did not specify name brand that they were in the right sending the generic. I would have been fine with that had the drug worked, but it doesn't. I have left a message for the person at Emory that writes my prescriptions, but still awaiting his call. I expect to get a refund as the generic doesn't work.
I will have to see what the prescription guy says, but regardless of what he says, I am going to dispute the charges with my credit card company. The generic version was over 100 bucks.
On 3/7/2011 11:21 AM, Metspitzer wrote: ...

That depends on how the actual prescription being filled was written--if it allowed for the substitution w/o confirmation, they're in the clear. If it was for the branded version specifically and didn't note that the generic could be substituted, then I'd venture you've got basis (other than that you apparently used some of the product instead of rejecting the order at delivery--that's a somewhat different issue as well I'd guess).
What rules are in your state for return of a prescription also would be a factor perhaps; can't imagine that it would be allowed for the pharmacy to restock anything that has left their possession.
$0.02, worth probably < ...

Well I was pleased to find out that they made a cheaper version. It just doesn't work. (How do you find out it doesn't work without taking it?)

And why is that the Pharm's responsibility to fund? Just out of curiosity, how long did you try it before you decided it did not work?

Just out of curiosity, how long should you try a medicine before you decide if it works?
It caused me to fall asleep, it just didn't keep me asleep.

Three things about Ambien: The timed release version is better than the "regular version". The generic version didn't work for either, just like the OP. After having used it for a fairly long time, discontinuing the timed release version of Ambien was a horror for me. Just because they say it isn't addicitive, doesn't mean your body doesn't get dependent on it. Lckily, it was only 2 or 3 nights with hardly any sleep, and I was off it.
--
Best regards
Han

Try benadryl as a cheap alternative. 100 of them for a few dollars at walmart.
As the other poster noted they can no trestock anything that left their possesion. No matter if it got used or not. If the script allowed subs then you're just out of luck.
On 3/7/2011 1:47 PM, jamesgangnc wrote:

Careful about over-the-web prescribing, even for an over-the-counter medication!
Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is an anti-histamine, which is an entirely different class of chemical than is Ambien. Benadryl has an atropine-like action and, therefore, should be used with caution in patients with a history of bronchial asthma, increased intraocular pressure (e.g., pre-glaucoma or glaucoma), hyperthyroidism, cardiovascular disease or hypertension. It must be used with caution in patients with lower respiratory disease including asthma.
It takes longer to be broken down in the body than does Ambien, even Ambien CR. and is more likely to build up in the system, leading to a "hangover" effect with persistent drowsiness, slowed reflexes, etc. after the normal time of awakening.
If Benadryl, at a MUCH lower price, had a similar effect on the body as Ambien, Ambien would not be as popular as it is. One of the main attractions of Ambien is that it does not produce hangover nearly as much as many other sleeping meds.
This is not to minimize the potential side effects of Ambien. Just saying that it would not be wise to tell anyone to take a medication, even if available over-the-counter, without suggesting that the patient consult first with their doc.

<snip>
Points well taken. In fact (I am too lazy to go and look it up) antihistamine/anti-motionsickness type medications are in over the counter "sleepaids".
--
Best regards
Han
On 3/7/2011 2:43 PM, Peter wrote:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a 90-day scrip for sleeping pills in the first place. They always told me 'for occasional use only'. In OP's place, I'd be talking to another doctor for a consult, and probably booking time at a sleep clinic to look for other triggers that keep waking me up.
But that is just me.
--
aem sends...

I have been taking it once a day for 10 years. I don't sleep without it. The best way I have had my condition described is that I just can't turn my thoughts off. My brain is going over what I did that day and what I have to do the next day and things I need to do next week and I just can't shut it off.

He isn't hooked. That is why he has been taking it for ten years.
On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 20:33:59 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Are you saying that anyone that takes any drug daily is an addict? I've taken an aspirin every day for four years but I'm hardly addicted to aspirin. I've also take a couple of Metoprolol a day. A better case for "addiction" could be made there, but only a little.
I was responding to:
"He isn't hooked. That is why he has been taking it for ten years."
If you are taking the CR 6.25mg maybe you talk to your Dr about upping to the 12.5mg.
On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 09:17:32 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Yes, and you make no sense.
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 08:17:34 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Nice try at an excuse.
After three days of ambien usage, you will go a day or two without sleep when you stop. Three days!! That is how fast dependency develops. You take it for a week, and you spend up to a week in withdrawals, stomach cramps, anxiety, severe insomnia. Any more than that and you are pretty much screwed.
A general rule of thumb is that for every week you take ambien, you will experience withdrawals, including (sometimes severe) insomnia, for one to two weeks if not more. Fortunately there is a cap to the damage it does. The person taking it for ten years would probably recover fully in about a year, maybe two. He has no idea how badly he has screwed himself.

A bit of melatonin and some SleepTime tea (herbal, chamomile) can do wonders. And it's not addictive. There are herbals, such as valerian, that can help, but they are not good for long term usage.

Of course you don't sleep without it. And after ten years of taking it, were you to stop, it would be many months before you would start to sleep again normally. The damage to your brain has been done, and after ten years, it's probably quite severe. Consider quitting before it's too late.