OT Disputing medicine charges

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a 90-day scrip for sleeping pills in the first place. They always told me 'for occasional use only'. In OP's place, I'd be talking to another doctor for a consult, and probably booking time at a sleep clinic to look for other triggers that keep waking me up.

But that is just me.

Reply to
aemeijers

You should be especially nice to her. She may realize she has an air tight defense.

Reply to
Metspitzer

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Metspitzer spewed forth:

they will not take them back, but if you'd like some compensation, my wife takes them and would take them for the right price.

Reply to
ChairMan

I take Prograf so I was already told NOT to have grapefruit. Finally they cut out something I already disliked. :)

It was cutting out the stuff I did like that was tough. I never had any GOOD habits :)

--------From the web----------- Do not consume grapefruit or grapefruit juice during treatment with Prograf unless your doctor has told you do. Prograf can have a dangerous interaction with grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Avoid exposure to sunlight or artificial UV rays (sunlamps or tanning beds). Prograf may increase the risk of skin cancer. Use a sunscreen (minimum SPF 15) and wear protective clothing if you must be out in the sun.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I have been taking it once a day for 10 years. I don't sleep without it. The best way I have had my condition described is that I just can't turn my thoughts off. My brain is going over what I did that day and what I have to do the next day and things I need to do next week and I just can't shut it off.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I have been taking it for 10 years and I am not hooked.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Go back to the pharmacy. Find out the manufacturer of the generic. Complain to them. Tell them you're hoping they get this right before you escalate to the FDA, Homeland Security, and the Rat Abatement Control of your local sanitation department.

Reply to
HeyBub

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:il3sh4 $cst$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

He isn't hooked. That is why he has been taking it for ten years.

Reply to
Zootal

A bit of melatonin and some SleepTime tea (herbal, chamomile) can do wonders. And it's not addictive. There are herbals, such as valerian, that can help, but they are not good for long term usage.

Reply to
Zootal

Are you saying that anyone that takes any drug daily is an addict? I've taken an aspirin every day for four years but I'm hardly addicted to aspirin. I've also take a couple of Metoprolol a day. A better case for "addiction" could be made there, but only a little.

Reply to
krw

After three days of ambien usage, you will go a day or two without sleep when you stop. Three days!! That is how fast dependency develops. You take it for a week, and you spend up to a week in withdrawals, stomach cramps, anxiety, severe insomnia. Any more than that and you are pretty much screwed.

A general rule of thumb is that for every week you take ambien, you will experience withdrawals, including (sometimes severe) insomnia, for one to two weeks if not more. Fortunately there is a cap to the damage it does. The person taking it for ten years would probably recover fully in about a year, maybe two. He has no idea how badly he has screwed himself.

Reply to
Zootal

I have actually ran out from forgetting to reorder more than once. I wasn't jonesing or anything, but I also wasn't resting very well either.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Of course you don't sleep without it. And after ten years of taking it, were you to stop, it would be many months before you would start to sleep again normally. The damage to your brain has been done, and after ten years, it's probably quite severe. Consider quitting before it's too late.

Reply to
Zootal

Zootal wrote in news:Xns9EA1C9839FD25nospamspamzootalnosp@216.196.97.131:

Let's not forget that people are individuals and that medications affect different people differently. I took Ambien CR for quite a number of months. It worked very well in general. I (maybe I was an exception) had no sleepwalking problems (witness available). However, it wasn't cheap, and I was disgusted about my dependency. Then the regular generic didn't work for me. It took about 2-3 nights of real sleep problems and I was back to my usual sleep problems from before Ambien. Not weeks or months. I wish there was something better to keep my brain from waking me up all the time. Valerian is something I have been administered a few times as a young adult, but Dad was real careful about it, and regarded it as sort of an opiate, although Wikipedia doesn't say so.

All medications have side effects. So does living .

Reply to
Han

Yeah, she's joked about that. The house was never cleaner, though.

(-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

People who can fall asleep easily (me) are often very unsympathetic to people who need masks, earplugs and every light in the house turned off before they can fall asleep (my wife). Then there's entire class of people who can fall asleep easily enough, but once awakened can not fall back asleep. I sadly believe that unless you've experienced a sleep disorder close up, it's very hard to be sympathetic to how lack of sleep can seriously degrade your QOL (Quality of Life).

Sleep disorder clinics wouldn't be springing up like wildfires if most people could fall asleep without problems. I haven't checked lately, but I believe sleep aids are one of the mostly widely prescribed drugs in the US. If you count antidepressants that also have a anticholinergic (sleep inducing) effect, they easily are the numero uno. Throw in the self-medicators who use pot, alcohol or natural remedies to get to sleep, then the scope of the problem is mind-boggling.

When my wife started taking Halcion and then Ambien, the change in her happiness level was unmistakable. People become habituated to these meds because life is just so much easier to deal with when you've had a good night's sleep. Making anyone who needs medication to help them sleep feel like opiate abusers is really unfair. Modern man lives in a state of hyperstimulation and some can cope naturally better than others.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:il57ro $ubq$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I do not find that statement funny.

Reply to
Han

Also had luck with melatonin. Had a shrink I used to work with order tryptophan for some of his druggies. His theory was that they needed to take SOMETHING, because they weren't in control of themselves. He chose tryptophan because, as he said, it is cheap, safe, and if you OD the only major side effect is that you get extra nervous around Thanksgiving-grin. Never did see anything he wrote up on this idea, though.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

That's good news. Getting sick usually means giving up things you like. There are actually loads of really specific drug/food/drink prohibitions. I know about the ones for thyroid problems like cabbage, kale, milk, soybean and things with kelp products (more than you could ever dream - powdered kelp is everything and when the big fish all die out, kelp will be our new seafood diet).

Prograf is serious stuff. Are you a transplant recipient? (Feel free to ignore that question if it's too personal - for all I know it's also used to treat hangnails, but I know of it because I was going to have donor tendon transplant surgery until my surgeon got himself killed in a car crash driving on black ice.)

Diabetes is murder on people with a sweet tooth. It might also be murder on Medicare if the actuaries are wrong about their projections. It's a disease that reflects our culture in many ways. I'm still not sure that corn syrup is the same as cane sugar. Even less so now that the corn syrup industry is running ads that say they are exactly equal. (-: When someone has to tell you "I am not a crook" you should start worrying.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Ouch. Happened to my Dad, too. Very nasty. You have my sympathy. As Kurt Vonnegut once wrote: "I knew getting old was going to be bad - I just didn't know it was going to be THIS bad!"

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green